The Wonder of Science and Science Fiction

As many of you know, I kinda like my SciFi. I've always loved the close links between what is science fact and science fiction, and when science fiction actually becomes science reality. 

I love seeing pictures from the International Space Station, reading sciency stuff online, or of course reading science fiction that's grounded in science. But about a while ago a lad of sixteen rather surprised me with his attitude to science and scientific development. A bit of a sweeping generalisation coming along here, but I love talking to teenagers generally, as their minds haven't been beaten into submission by work, the realities of life, or money worries. In my experience this doesn't apply to writers, as most are mad as a box of frogs, but in general, kids and teens are an endless source of wonder and ideas, and it's great to bounce ideas off them, learn from them, and generally sit in awe of the scopes of their imagination. 

Unusually, not so in this case, as this lad couldn't see past the end of his rather neat looking iPhone (an iPhone 3 I believe), and was adamant that we'd reached the pinnacle of technological invention and innovation. I hadn't the heart to tell him that the iPhone 5 was on the way. 

And, as proof of the improvements in science and leaps in technology, can you imagine watching  the video above ten years ago on the news? Not the SciFi channel or in a cartoon, the News!

The clip is of the Falcon 9 First stage landing - it's so good it looks like it's being played in reverse! Watch as science fiction becomes science fact. It's wonderful.