Je suis Charlie

I don't need to say much about what happened, everyone knows. 

But if one good thing has come from this, it's that people all around the world have come together in condemnation of the atrocity. Regardless of any particular separation people want to quote, we are human, and we all react in horror when something like this happens. 

I finished a book last night recommended to me by someone in the Science Fiction club - The Martian, by Andy Weir. It was one of the best stories I've read in a long time, and three and a half hours of a trip up to London disappeared with me on Mars with the protagonist. But it finished with a wonderfully positive message, some of which is included here...

"If a hiker gets lost in the mountains, people will coordinate a search. If a train crashes, people will line up to give blood. If an earthquake levels a city, people all over the world will send emergency supplies. This is so fundamentally human that it's found in every culture without exception. Yes, there are assholes who just don't care, but they're massively outnumbered by the people who do."

Humanity can and should pull together in condemnation of an event like this, and they have. And only by roaring 'No' at people like this can we show show that condemnation. We will not stoop to their level, but neither should we forget either the event, or the fact that so many people who cared stood together and said "Je suis Charlie."

Je suis Charlie aussi.