Look up

I was awful at art at school. I'm not really much better now, but something my art teacher said to me in my second year at secondary school (aged about 12) stuck with me. 

"Look up." 

At the time, he was referring to architecture, and some of the wonderful gargoyles, architectural detailing, and carefully carved stonework appearing on some of the local buildings in town. But it also applies to scenery. I recently spent a few days away from the computer (looking at) with family and friends, and I found myself spending a great deal of time staring at the sky. It was cold, there was a lot of ice in the atmosphere, and the skies were wonderful, particularly when the sun was at its lowest ebb. 

I also walked across a beach covered in frost one morning down in Cornwall whilst visting the in-laws, an entirely new experience for me. 

If I'm allowed a new years resolution, it will be to look up more often as I think it has inspired me to write more when I'm looking at the screen, rather than simply staring into binary space as I seem to do quite often. 

The sky is kinda cool, and at night, some thoughtful entity kindly paints the darkness with stars. 

I've yet to see the Northern Lights. I think that would be a sky I'd like to see...

It's great to look at the screen, or a book, or even out of the window, but there's so much more to see if you occasionally look up too.

~~

some of the pics I took recently are on my Instagram if anyone's bored, and the pic on the right is taken looking over at Dartmoor from my parent's place