Sniglets

Some time ago in an Orangutangent not that far away, one of my random Brianisms turned into a lovely little chat with Buzzmama on the Original Synonym Orangutangent -http://www.wattpad.com/93688515-orangutangents-original-synonym?utm_source=email-comment_new#

It was suggested at the time that two of the words 'mimsy' and 'wonken' (wonken being invented by my oldest nephew when he was about 3 and meaning the dicey point where the wheels are just about to fall off your toy car, the bit between wonky and broken) were sniglets. So Brian was let loose on Google (which may now be wonken) and came up with this...

Sniglet is a neologism, popularized by comedian/actor Rich Hall during his tenure on the 1980s HBO comedy series Not Necessarily the News. Each episode of the monthly series featured a regular segment on sniglets, which Hall described as "any word that doesn't appear in the dictionary, but should."

Some wonderful sniglets include -

Snackmosphere = The 95% air inside bags of potato chips.  

Continentertinter = The person in a mapmaking company whose job is to
decide what color a specific country is going to be.  

Hawaska = In an atlas, the rectangular box which contains Hawaii and Alaska and is located just off the coast of Arizona.  

Hereoglyph = A little stick figure on a mallmanac (see below) that tells you where you are in a mall because you can't tell by yourself because there is no face on it. (Often the words "You Are Here" occur at the bottom of the hereoglyph)  

Flushmania = When you go into a public restroom, and the whole place STINKS AS HELL, you flush ALL the toilets before doing what YOU have to do. (Related to Flushamnesia = When you forget to flush the toilet in a public restroom.)

Barfaroma = The stink that eminates from a person immediately after he has thrown up.  

Ambiportalous = Possessing the uncanny knack for approaching a set of double doors and ALWAYS pushing the locked one.  

^^ Those are just a few, and they're well worth searching for, but I still think wonken is kinda cool =]