Wow - an Alien Emoji or a Comet with Wind?

In 1977, Jerry R. Ehman, who was working on a SETI project at Ohio State University's Big Ear readio telescope (now defunct) observed a data signal so unique and unusual he drew a red circle around it and wrote the now legendary "Wow!" to highlight the discovery. 

The source of the signal was never identified. 

Of course, the immediate cry of Aliens! resounded around the geekosphere, and folk started to wear tin foil hats as the latest fashion accessory for the conspiracy theorist about town, but more recently new scientific information suggests the signal could be coming from a hydrogen cloud caused by comets.

When Ehman spotted the Wow signal, he was scanning the skies for evidence of extraterrestrial activity, but had focused on a portion of the radio spectrum resembling hydrogen. On August 15, 1977, he documented a 72-second sequence of unusual intensity which appeared to have come from a globular cluster located in the constellation Sagittarius.

Satellite interference, and signals reflected from the Earth's surface were ruled out, and for the record Ehman never believed aliens were Wowing around the galaxy. But some 40 years later it appears that comets may be the answer (not 42 for a change). 

According to Antonio Paris, an astronomer at St. Petersburg College in Florida, the Wow! signal could have been produced by one or two passing comets as they're known to release considerable amounts of Hydrogen when passing near the Sun due to the sun's ultraviolet rays disturbing the comet surface. This cloud of hydrogen released extends behind like an interplanetary vapour trail (cometary wind?) for millions of miles. It could have been this cloud of hydrogen, says Paris, that caused the Wow! signal. 

So, if you happen to be visiting the bathroom just right of Europa, make sure Halley has already sprayed the cosmic air freshener or you too will be going Wow.