Chapter 20: Claribel and Ragdos

*Luna's perspective, on the front wall of the stronghold, facing Claribel's army*

           Screams were heard all around. Swords clashing, horns blowing, Metal ringing. Men shouting to prepare for battle. A future bloodbath. A horrifying scenery to face. Questioning is an extra weight that everyone held at the sight to behold. Who will die, and who will survive? Claribel, a strong Kingdom that got a lot of resources from outer seas and previous wars, resources built and received over time through Treaties of Peace. Ragdos, a Kingdom that almost died. A Kingdom that was still being rebuilt over the last century or so, barely having any trade Treaties in place, making most trades illegal. Claribel and Ragdos, two Kingdoms that used to be allies became enemies. And once again, they were at war on the same lands of the previous bloodbath. These were all the thoughts that occurred to me.

           Everything became overwhelming, too many sounds were heard and too many things were seen in one cramped space. The moon shone, trying to pierce through some occasional heavy clouds. The clouds could be used to our advantage for Saphire to hide when in flight. Our army was probably about a third of the one that was in front of the north wall. Gwaine and I stood there in silence. I noticed his gaze was set further, I looked and also saw King Derek. Next to him on a high horse, was Alfred. My blood boiled at the view and I could feel the air warm up around me. I realised that my emotions were taking control over me again and that I could not let another outburst happen.

           The King of Ragdos joined us. A momentary silence grew. This was it, our weapons were ready, we needed to strike first. Both sides were waiting with anxiety and tension growing stronger than ever. Jania, who was further away and lower, waited for the King's low hand movement, only visible to the ones inside the fortress, to order the archers within our walls to set their arrows loose. The King let out a small sigh, and with eyes sharp and ready as a falcon, did a small hand movement.

           The signal was off, Jania lifted her right arm in the air to have the archers ready their arrows. In the meantime, archers from Claribel's army were also preparing. We were faster. I turned my head, and heard a small fierce voice from afar, watching Jania's arm go down: Loose! The arrows flew. New arrows were already being placed on our bows to give a continuous hit without a break. We couldn't afford to let them advance. We needed to exterminate as many as we possibly could without having any casualties on our side.

           Horses neighed as they got hit, men cried out in agony as they got pierced by our arrows. Some fell as they got a direct hit through their heart, heads or other vital organs. Some arrows fell from the sky so hard that they pierced not through one, but through two beings. Fear filled the dark night as people were starting to lose their lives or limbs. Blood ran down their bodies and onto the cold hard grassy ground. The divisions had been destabilised. The second wave of arrows flew back down on them, some enemy archers managed to recollect themselves and shoot their shots. A few casualties on our side, nothing too serious.

           The third wave was being prepared. We had a strategy involving intervals. One section would shoot their arrows, while they were reloading, another section would shoot. This gave the other section to prepare and aim high enough. The time delays would gradually grow wider and wider as the enemy would approach our gates. Our third and fourth sections of archers went up to our walls as soon as Gwaine let out a signal saying that enemy troops were approaching our gates. Arrows on the ready again, blood spilt under our feet, at the bottom of our walls. The scent of blood became overpowering, screams became louder and louder.

           The divisions were reformed for Claribel's army. We had predicted that. Alfred and King Derek had gone further away from the gruesome scene. It was no longer safe for those who were on the front wall to stand in plain sight. So we went down to safer grounds. The next step of the plan was to try and predict Alfred's moves. One thing we had roughly predicted was his attempt to assassinate the King. Since a few of us had noticed that they had both left with a small number of assassins that belonged to Alfred's group, he would no doubt try it soon and take over the army.

           Gwaine and I rushed inside to see the Queen preparing her weapons and armour. She was a little late. No surprise there for a puffy Queen. Jania went and stayed by her side, Lincon was helping out with the garrison of riders. The last warrior that came with Jania helped with the foot soldiers. We took a secret path that was revealed to us to go behind the fortress and go unnoticed by the enemy, Pluto and Almia were attached and hidden for us. Saphire remained in the tall grass, completely out of sight.

           We mounted and headed to the last of the forest that I had largely obliterated nearby. That was our wildest guess. The most discreet way for the King to be killed was through there. It would also have been a great opportunity to surprise us from behind. We rushed there, being half-hidden thanks to the tall dark grass and tall fields. We rode quietly and swiftly. I couldn't tell whether Gwaine wanted to save his Father or end him. Only one thing was sure: we both wanted to kill Alfred.

           He hadn't just hurt me, he had hurt all of us. The small remaining forest grew closer and closer. We could hear the screams behind us, metallic clashing sounds were heard, they had breached our base. Then we heard a scream coming from the forest. It was King Derek. We hurried as fast as we could. But when we arrived, the King was on his knees.

           Gwaine took out his sword and killed a few assassins that did not notice him. He yelled out to try and get them distracted. I also joined in and fought a man on my own. Alfred turned around, chuckled and smiled cruely.

-Too late, like the time your mother fell.

           With those words, the King looked at Gwaine in his eyes, begging for forgiveness. Alfred took out his sword and sliced off his head. Blood spurted out as the veins got torn. The body flopped and dropped. His head rolled, getting covered in dirt. Blood gushed out onto the cold forest grounds. Gwaine let out an agonising scream of rage and pain. His Father was dead. We were too late. Alfred took a rapid turn and went off with some others. They were not going to waste their energy nor time on us. They would call an ambush and bring a wider section of soldiers to the back. That was what we had predicted, we had managed to predict everything.

           A few men stayed back. I had never seen Gwaine so violent in the past but then he had no choice. It was to kill or be killed. He was filled with rage. He had no time to mourn his loss. Unfortunately, I knew that feeling all too well. Once we had managed to kill off the rest of the remaining men, blood covered our bodies. Blood that mostly belonged to others. Gwaine was ready to chase after Alfred but we both knew he couldn't. He went down to his Father's corpse. A puddle of blood had formed. The beheaded man was a horrific thing to look at. Some men had managed to breathe a little air before I managed to control my powers to scorch them to death. We needed to ride back to the fortress and fight within the walls now. We had a war to win. Gwaine had a Kingdom to make his.

           We rode back to the fortress. The fire climbed the dark deathly sky. Rage, fear, hopelessness filled everyone's souls. We went in directly with Almia and Pluto, there was enough space to ride in. We heard some clashes within the halls where the King, Queen and Jania were supposed to be. We both panicked, thinking the Claribelians had breached in further than anticipated. We heard a loud thud. We dismounted and ran out of the shadows. The next scenery tore my heart to shreds. A scenery I hoped and wished to never see. One that I could never forgive. While they were gaining, we were losing.