Chapter 10: A Price to Pay

-We must return to the castle. Saphire, you are coming with us.

She walked out a little more, the light of the moon showed her splendid colours and form. We all started to return by the path except for Saphire.

-What are you doing?

I asked. She was standing still and started to spread her wings then very slowly, lowering her body a little to the ground.

-I'm a dragon, I was born to fly.

And with no time to waste, she took off with grace and power, wind gushing everywhere making the trees shake and open a passage above her, all with the mere power in her wings.

           In one beat, she was gone. We hurried along the path and as we approached the city, we heard screams. Of course, she wouldn't have taken time to arrive. People ran everywhere screaming in panic as she lowered herself down in the central plaza. Guards came running, prepared to fight as she landed softly on the ground, not destroying a single plant or building in her way. She stood there, waiting for us in the most magical pose possible. Beauty and power radiated off her as she stared at the population running around in fear. She looked amused. Guards lurked in the shadows as all the moonlight beamed on her shades of blue and sapphire scales and feathers. She snarled a little. The Queen ordered the guards to lay low and her people to fear no more. I got closer to Saphire and she bowed her head, enabling me to pat her gently. My hand was petite compared to her head. I heard murmurs all around, frightened to see a dragon in the centre of their city. I turned around:

-Do not worry, she is with us now. She will not harm any of us. The ones who will need to fear her are those who wish to harm any of you. She will protect Yazralon and its people.

-How can we be so sure?!

A scream in the midst of the crowds. I expected no less.

-If she wanted to kill us all, we wouldn't be here, no one would be alive right now. Not even I. If she wished to kill, we would have not returned from the forest alive.

Murmurs started to brew again before mostly coming to a halt, they were uneasy. Understandable.

-She's telling the truth. She could have killed me but she spared me.

I turned and looked at Gwaine, and nodded in gratitude.

-My lineage is the reason why she's an orphaned dragon, why she holds so much hate. I am the only heir to the throne of Claribel Kingdom. She could have ended me and Claribel, an act of direct revenge, but she spared my life. She speaks the truth.

People loosened their fears, they were still a little uneasy but Gwaine helped with his remarks. I still do not know why he was still with me instead of being with his people, something changed in him but I didn't quite understand what. All I knew was that he truly did have a heart of courage.

           Saphire looked up to the sky and felt a little uneasy. Before I was capable of asking, she notified me that a war was brewing, it was brewing faster than usual wars. The nature and air around her felt unusual and restless, Gwaine said he knew about the coming war, after all, this was why we were both here. I overheard the discussion between him and his Father, it was the same war that I had seen in the waters after succeeding in my trials.