Chapter 5: The Devil's Source

I slowly but readily made my way out of the cave, Pluto's reins in my hands, checking if the coast was clear. Nobody to be seen or heard. I mounted Pluto, slowly went across the waterfall and checked once again my surroundings. I sighed then looked straight ahead the waters pathing their way down the hills within this forest to go to the Devil's Source. People's stories spoke of a woman near there, one who sometimes, if lucky or cursed, spoke to you in your dreams or visions.

           She was said to help bring answers to your questions and help you find your fate. She had come from a neighbouring Kingdom: the Lands of Ranshayr. I didn't know how nor why but I knew one thing for sure: she was the one I needed to find. I turned Pluto towards the water's passage and started to canter my way down following these waters.

           As I was making my way down, I remembered how I had told Lincon about this waterfall hiding in this cave, I couldn't help but wonder if he was alright or if he broke our promise to never speak of this waterfall to anyone as it was my secret place to hide from society. In any case, I needed to hurry, I didn't know if they had figured out that I was going to follow these cold rushing waters. All I could do was pray and get as far away from Claribel as possible.

           The sun hit my face as if it was warmly welcoming me and trying to reassure me, I felt at peace even though chaos was still following me. The birds were chirping and singing, the waters were gleaming in the sun and the leaves danced as gusts of wind passed through the branches of the tall oak and birch trees. I closed my eyes as Pluto continued to canter. I shouldn't have eavesdropped, this was all my fault, maybe if I was a little later I wouldn't have heard them talking, or maybe I should have knocked on the door.

           There were so many ways to avoid all of this, to avoid getting chased out of Claribel which had been my home for many years now, Lincon who became my friend and had only become a knight for a few years and became the most wanted person in the Kingdom, dead or alive... All I knew was that this war they spoke of was something they didn't want to let out which would explain being chased as if I was an enemy. I opened my eyes as soon as I felt Pluto slowing down the pace. I had forgotten that he was having a full tack and my body weight on him, we had been galloping for a good thirty minutes then, as much as I would have liked to keep going I needed to let him rest. I slowed him down and brought him to a halt, dismounted and let him have a drink from the river. I used this opportunity to refresh and wash my face.

           I sat down, looked around and noticed occasional medicinal herbs that I had taken an interest in during my stay in Claribel. They could be useful in the future time especially if I ended up sick or hurt. I made my way to where I saw the multiple herbs and heard a rustling sound nearby. I went on guard, preyed around and saw no man or woman nearby, I slowly walked closer to Pluto, heard the rustling again, rested my hand on the sword that was attached to Pluto's tack, and prepared for any possibilities. One final rustle and I saw a deer pop out from bushes on the other side of the river.

           I sighed in relief. Another panic for nothing, just a deer. I gathered the herbs and my composure mounted Pluto and made way once more for the Devil's Source. Judging by how long I had been riding, I would arrive there by nightfall, if not a little earlier, and off I went.

*Change to Gwaine's perspective*

           I had been riding for a while, yet there was still no sign of a waterfall... I stopped my horse, and took a look around, it was already near noon and I could not find any sign of Luna. Lincon spoke of a waterfall where its waters led to the Devil's Source but there were so many rivers and quite a few waterfalls in these forests, I could find one and supposedly follow the wrong one or I could decide to not follow one and it would have been the correct path.