Chapter 17: In This Together

*Gwaine's perspective, standing, on his way out of the room, looking at Luna*

-Sure, just, let me close your doors first.

-Thanks...

           I didn't technically need to close the doors, they were almost closed anyways, but I just needed to do something to calm myself down. She looked too adorable when she gently tugged on my cloak and spoke softly but hesitantly. I needed a small moment to process that. I didn't understand why I was feeling this way, I had stayed by her side for the past three nights on a chair so I shouldn't have been anxious to stay a little while longer. I turned back and walked back to her, her face was slightly rosy, and it looked like she was in a pensive mood as if she was wondering what had just happened, she was also processing.

-So... Did you want to talk about anything?

-Huh? Oh! Right, um...

She was spacing out and she was becoming more hesitant in her speech. She was clearly struggling to speak and unable to say things directly. I had a light giggle.

Wh-What, why are you laughing?

-Oh, sorry, I just never saw you struggling to speak to me. I find your struggle a little amusing. Apologies.

-Oh come on... I was just about to thank you but I guess you don't deserve it!

-Thank me? What for?

-Yes. Look... You had an amazing life, you had everything, everyone was under your allegiance. You could have all of the women in Claribel, you were close to getting the throne. You are a Prince that trained to become a King. Yet, you gave it all up, for a measly girl like me, you risked everything and came on this journey. You lost it all Gwaine... And, I want to apologise for it too... But right now, I just want to say 'thank you'. So... Thank you, Gwaine.

           At that moment, she had looked up and stared into my eyes. She looked both pained and at peace. I couldn't tell why, but it felt like she was trying to say something else through all of her words. She was right in a way, I did risk a lot by going after her. She had lost her rosy cheeks, I frowned a little. I took a small second or two to think what to say in return. It was all set, I knew what to say and I knew what to add to it, I casually sat on the chair I had stayed in for the previous nights, feeling a little closer to her, feeling a little more intimate:

-I guess you're right.

-Huh..?

-You're right. I did have everything. I was going to become the esteemed King of Claribel. I had all the money, all the gold and riches in my palm. If I ordered the women of the Kingdom to gather in the palace so that I could choose a bride, they would.

-...

I noticed her displeasure when I spoke of other women. It almost looked like a hopeless face, one that someone would put on if they were giving up. My questioning from the camp had been answered. So I was bound to reply:

-... But, I gained more on this adventure. I wouldn't have met people that did not hesitate to spare me in duels, I learned new skills, I learned to lose things. I learned that everything I had was nothing but a privilege. For the things that were thrown at me, I learned how to earn them. I never really did before. So you taught me a valuable lesson. You also got me to learn how to speak more freely, and feel more connected. Back in Claribel, I was jealous. I was arrogant. I saw the friendships that were being built and cherished around me, and I didn't have access to that because of my title. Yet you gave me a chance, I also grew closer to Jania. For this, I can never stress enough how much I am grateful for it. So, Luna, rather than thanking me, I should be the one thanking you.