Chapter 15: Fragilized Trust

Those words looped in my mind, they nagged me as Jania and I were riding back to the stronghold to provide care for Luna. I was afraid but I should have reached out to her, I should have told her that she wasn't a monster, far from it, I should have caught her as she fainted, I shouldn't have feared her... But how could I not? Our surroundings had been incinerated, it was impossible for a human to do such things. This was what Queen Azelia had told me about, to make a choice.

           Doubts overcame me before hearing Jania scream at me once again to concentrate on the path. I tried to reply but all I could do was lightly nod as a way of communication. When we had arrived, the dismount was quick and she was taken away. I didn't pay attention to the unrest and moving soldiers around me, I had guessed that I was in a state of shock. It took me some time to hear Jania calling out my name, but I paid no attention to it. She had managed to get my attention after tapping my shoulder. She looked concerned for Luna and for me. She insisted that I needed to go rest while she would go plan and explain the situation to those who were in the stronghold. Princess Caroline came running out, asking what had happened.

She attempted to approach me and I tried to avoid the touch:

-Where is Luna being taken to..?

-She's been directed to the medical room. After that, they will take her to her chambers.

-... Will she be alright?

-Since it looked like you rushed here, all should be fine.

-Thank you, Lady Caroline.

-What happened?

I started to walk off, I was lost in thought again, I was angered.

-Gwaine..?

-An ambush.

           With those two words, she stood silent, with more worries setting in her eyes. And I walked off to find Luna. I was angry at my Father's approaches, at the ambush and how they had hurt the people. But most importantly, I was angry at myself. I couldn't help her, I failed at comforting her. Would she hate me for it when she would wake up? Probably. Would she wake up? I hoped so... Those thoughts overran my mind, clogging up all positivity. The only positivity I had left were the thoughts of when Luna and I were having some joyful moments or training, or her accomplishments during our journey here, yet all those memories started to turn grey, to turn sad.

           It took me a moment to notice that I had arrived near the medical area and to my surprise, a physician or someone from the medical area had already checked Luna and were directing her faint and unconscious body to her chambers. I ran up to them and kept up with their pace and asked if everything was alright. They said they couldn't find any anomalies other than having a high pulse and a cold temperature. They gave her some herbs to calm her heart and planned to warm her up with bedding and candles in her room. They tried to hush me away however, my persistence made them give way. I stood by her side, looking down at her now frail, freezing and unconscious body. I was scared, scared of her abilities, but also of her possible death, I did not want to lose her.