Chapter 9: The Awakening

*Gwaine's perspective, after saying goodnight to Luna*

           What had gotten into me? I had been smiling more and more openly. Although I enjoyed talking more openly I had this weird feeling inside. I mainly got it when I was around Luna but I did not know why... She had gotten stronger during these last days, she wasn't the same person that was serving me back in Claribel, I admit I was impressed by her fast progress. She also seemed really happy yet seemingly hiding something. I went to my bed and just dropped like a corpse onto it. The bedding was nice and soft as usual. Although I really wanted to go back home, especially where I was more respected and my status would be taken into account, it was not so bad here. Besides their food was good, the people on the training grounds came at me with full force which was more challenging and amusing and finally Luna was really happy around here.

           Why was it that Luna kept popping up in my head? Had I been staring at her too much, or talked too much to her or about her? Why was it that she made me smile and brought some inner peace? Why was I overcrowding my mind with those questions about her, why was I thinking of her?? Could it be that... I heard a door open and close nearby but the only other chamber occupied where its door would be loud enough for me to hear was Luna's. Perfect timing as usual... I walked towards my door and opened it up a little discreetly and looked out only to see her walking away towards the staircase leading outside. I grew curious and confused and quickly gathered my things, attached my sword and put on my coat. I took my leave and followed her.

           Did I miss a reunion or a piece of information saying that we should meet up? This time I was the one eavesdropping or having too much curiosity. It didn't really matter since I was following her already. I silently ran down the stairs and heard footsteps nearby. I looked to see who was approaching and realised it was Jania going to her chambers. I came out of the dark staircase and called out to her in a loud whisper.

-Jania. Jania!

-.. Gwaine?? What are you doing out here? Why do you have your sword, what are you planning?

-I'm following Luna, she left and went outside, I thought that you two were going to meet.

-No, we don't have anything planned, not even with the Queen...

-Then where the hell is she going then?!

-I don't know, I'll go warn the Queen, keep on following her Gwaine!

Judging by her worried face, wherever Luna was going, it wasn't planned at all. I hurried faster down the stairs, getting out and being on the plaza where the tall tree stood at the centre. I looked near the gates and saw an opened door, she must have gone through there. I rushed over, went down into the lower ranges and ended up in the small town which was close to the dark gloomy forest. I noticed a guard in the vicinity and asked him if he'd seen anyone nearby.

-I did see a girl walk in that direction, but no one would dare go into the forest that way.

-What do you mean no one would dare?

-... It's the northern forest...

-So???

-... The dragon's cave is in that section of the forest... We don't speak of it even though we have never heard of it for two years...

-A dragons cave?!

-Why, what is the matter, sir?

-When Jania and the Queen get here, tell them that Luna is heading for the northern forest, they need to know!