Sudden Grey

"I wanna live in a world where Santa's real"-
Santa's Real- Sasha Sloan

Deji had never been one to like difficulties or drama. He liked his life pretty simple. All black and white. So when something messed up his simple life, it's only expected for him to be thrown off and frustrated. Or in this case, about to have a mental break down.

His parents called a family meeting the previous day, said they had something important to tell them. Deji didn't know what he was expecting. But it definitely wasn't his parents telling him and his 2 siblings that they were having a divorce.

He remembered being frozen and numb. Like his mind went totally numb. He just stared at his parents, looking for answers to questions he didn't even know yet. His parents were getting a divorce. That was the only thing running through his head.

"Why?" His elder sister, Tope asked. He was grateful she spoke, because he didn't think his brain was capable of thinking at that moment, talk more of speaking.

"Why?" His sister asked again as their parents remained silent.
He finally took the time to really look at them. They both didn't look like people about to get a divorce after almost 22 years of marriage. No they looked calm. His mum looked guilty but something tells him it's only because she was scared of how her children might take the news, not because she's sad her marriage is ending.

"Your mother and I have both decided to go our separate ways," His father began, "We can't really tell you children all the details and why we're doing this, but it's for the best. It was long coming anyway." His father added with a shrug of his shoulders.

"We'll still love you all and you won't need to pick sides or anything. Tope and Ayo are already in the university and Deji is about to go in too. You three would always have a place with either of us whenever you want to visit. And I and your father would still be taking care of our responsibilities to you as our children." His mum said, looking at her three children with a smile. As if saying all those things should make them okay with the divorce.

"Okay." His elder brother, Ayo, said. Deji turned to him sharply. "You guys are old enough to decide what you want. To be honest, I actually saw this coming. I'm surprised you took this long." He said to my parents nonchalantly, as if he was talking about the weather.

"Same thoughts here." Tope said, shrugging too. "Well I hope it goes smoothly without any drama. I'll be heading out now. Bye." She said casually, hugging my mum and dad. Then she's gone.

"Me too. I'll be going back to my room. I need to finish my game." Ayo said. "Just keep us updated though." He told my parents, at which they both nodded. With that he goes to his room.

My parents turned to me, waiting for my comment on the divorce. I hadn't said anything since they mentioned it. I just sat there staring at nothing exactly. My head empty and full with thoughts at the same time.
"Deji," My mum called out to me. "You haven't said anything."

I just stare at her and my dad, I glanced at the wedding pictures on the wall in the living room, pictures I grew up seeing. Then back at them. No word escaped from my mouth. I was just floating. I needed to breathe, I felt caged.
So I just stood up, without saying a word and left the house.

(3rd person POV)

It's been a week now since his parents dropped that bomb on him and his siblings. He had been avoiding them since that day. His siblings seemed calm. They went about their lives like their family wasn't about to be torn apart.

That was what annoyed him the most, he realized. Everyone was acting so calm, they were acting okay with it. Too calm. His parents still went around the house like usual, talking and still eating together. His siblings still talked to their parents and ask them casually about the how the divorce was going, during dinner. Like it's a normal thing to talk about during dinner. A family dinner.

It irked him. Why weren't they affected by this? Why was everyone acting like they expected it? Why was he the only one who felt like crying? Like he was losing his family? Why was he the only one who felt lost?
Then he remembered his brother saying he wasn't surprised, the day their parents told them. His sister agreed too. Even his parents said it had been long coming.

What did everyone know that he didn't? He decided to ask his brother.

He had been avoiding the issue of his parents' divorce. Preferring to believe his family wasn't about to split up.

"Ayo." He called out to his brother, knocking his door.
"Yeah bro. Come inside."
He hesitated. Is he actually ready to face this issue?
Well it's now or never.

HE walked in on his brother on his phone. Ayo dropped his phone upon seeing the scared yet determined look on his little brother's face. And he just knew. He really wished he didn't have to tell Deji but he deserved to know.

"Why are they getting a divorce? What's it that everyone knows but I don't?" Deji asked bluntly. He had never been one to beat around the bush. Same as his brother.

"See, firstly, we really didn't want you to find out about any of this. That's why we've all been quiet."
"Mum and dad have actually cut things off for almost 3 years now. Just not officially. They wanted to wait till you were done with secondary school."

"What? How? I didn't notice anything like that. They still acted like husband and wife. I would have known. I spend more time with them." Deji rambled on, panicking. He was sure his parents were okay. They didn't act different. They still had dinner together and still said they loved each other while he was there. They even went out on dates still. Nothing seemed different.

Are you sure?
His mind whispers.

Yes he is. Nothing seemed different. Except...

Now that he thought of it, his parents didn't actually talk to each other when they ate, they only talked when it involved him or when he brought up a topic while eating. They also didn't actually say they loved each other anymore, they only agreed to him whenever he called them love birds. Even when they told him they were going on dates, they never went in the same car or told him specifically that they were going together. He only assumed they were and he never really thought much of them going in different cars or coming back at different times. And this started around Year 9, when he was about to write his Junior Exams.

How could he have not noticed the signs? The missing rings on both their fingers, even though he had never seen them without it on their fingers until recently. Was he so absorbed in his need for his life to remain simple and smooth that he ignored the signs?

"Oh my God! God! I'm so selfish." Deji breaks down, crying at this point. "How could I have been so blind? How didn't I see the signs?" He questioned out loud, sobbing.

Ayo moved to his brother and hugged him.
"Shhh. It's okay. You didn't know. You're not selfish. Just oblivious to your surroundings." He said, trying to console his brother. His brother had always been oblivious to things around him since they were little. He liked his life simple and drama free.

Most people may think he's self-absorbed but not Ayo. He knows that's just how his brother is. He was a simple guy who wanted a simple life. His brother didn't aim for much and was content with the little things.

"How did it start? What made them start drifting apart?" Deji asked, moving out of his brother's embrace.

Ayo sighed heavily and looked away from his little brother. He really wished he didn't have to tell him. He didn't want to see his brother more hurt than this. Among all of them, Deji has always been the one closest to their parents.

"Mummy found out dad was cheating on her and had a child with the woman too. She found out 4 years ago." Ayo said to his little brother, facing him as he watched his little brother crumble in front of him.

####################______________######
I am so sorry Deji. Come here let me give you a hug.
Thoughts????

Also, hope the POV switch didn't mess this up.
Vote/comment/share/spam me with your thouGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!

EDITED