White For Peace?

After all the stress and reading, it was finally the last day. They were finally going to write their last paper. The students couldn’t be more pleased. Everyone could feel the anticipation and excitement in the air.

The moment the last person submitted, it was like a chain had been cut loose. The students screamed. Shouting in relief. Even those who didn’t really write well couldn’t help but feel relieved too. They were finally done with secondary school. It felt like a dream still, a really good and almost unrealistic dream.

The students began the usual last paper ritual. Drinks were thrown at one another, markers were used to write words and sweet nothings on their uniforms. Pictures were taken, songs were sang. Some wrote insulting words about teachers they disliked while in school, on the walls. Adding to the previous notes left by their predecessors. Favourite teachers were given gifts by some students too. Juniors peeked from their classrooms, knowing one day that would b them too.

Moyin’s uniform was already stained beyond recognition. She had words written both in marker and pen on it. She was unable to dodge all the drinks being thrown, so her uniform was a little wet. And colourful. Someone clearly thought it was good idea to throw Zobo on people. But she wasn’t planning on taking it off though. It was like an unwritten rule to walk home with your uniform in total disarray on the last day of WAEC. No matter how dirty it was. She could already picture the streets filled with students from different schools, all with marker, pen and other stains on their uniforms. She smiled at the thought.

Someone in her class was throwing a party to celebrate their final senior exams. She wasn’t planning on going though. Neither was any of her friends except perhaps Deji.

She needed to use the restroom though, so she left her friends. Getting to the restroom she heard someone talking in one of the stalls.

“What do you mean that’s my problem?” She heard the person say. That was Ashley’s voice and she sounded…scared?
“Dave I said I’m bleeding a lot and I’m scared. What if I die? I just need you to pick me up and take me to the hospital please.”  Ashley started crying. Moyin became worried.

She’s bleeding? What happened to her? Isn’t Dave one of her guys?
Moyin knew she shouldn’t be eavesdropping. But she just couldn’t not listen in. Especially if Ashley could be in danger.

“You can’t? Why? Dave you were the one that took me to get an abortion! You even missed your test for that. And now you can’t come because your friends are around? When I might die?” She heard Ashley ask angrily.

Moyin stood there shocked. An abortion?

What the f*ck have you gotten yourself into Ashley?

“Hello? Hello? Dave! Dave! Oh my God. He ended the call.” Moyin heard Ashley crying harder. So she decided it was time to step in. No matter that she and Ashley weren’t friends, she still had to help her.

“What have I done to myself? I don’t want to die.” Ashley said in between sobs, scared to her bones.

“You’re not going to die.” Moyin said, startling an unknowing Ashley. She opened the stall door. Ashely had tears rolling down her cheeks. She looked like a deer caught in headlights.

“I hate funerals. And I’ll have to come to yours if you die. So nope. You’re not dying.” She continued.

“Moyin? What- What are you doing here? Did you…” Ashley trailed off.

“Hear everything?” Moyin asked and Ashley nodded. “Yeah I did. But we’re not talking about that now.”

Ashley became scared and started panicking. She was scared Moyin would tell everyone. She had never been nice to Moyin. So she was sure Moyin would seize this opportunity to get back at her.