➳ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯: 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘤𝘶𝘦 𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯

KIDA ISN'T SURE WHAT TO DO.

Both Zuko and Iroh come home, but Kida pretends to be asleep because she doesn't very much feel like talking. She lays on her sleeping mat, the flyer she found outside tucked underneath her pillow. Kida tosses and turns with a million thoughts running through her mind.

The flyer — clearly, Appa is missing. Missing. How does someone lose a 10 ton flying bison? The gang is looking for him — does that mean they're in town? What happened for them to end up here? Are they okay? Kida should find them, she should help them, she should —

No. They're fine without her. They have to be. And Kida is finally starting to be fine without them.

But...the least Kida can do, after everything that happened between her and the gang, is to help them search for Appa. It's the least Kida can do for Appa, who was just as good a friend to her as the rest of them. Plus, the thought of Aang being separated from his best friend was enough for Kida's heart to shatter.

By the time the sun starts to rise, Kida knows two things for sure.

First, keep Zuko out of it because that would throw him out of balance and, frankly, she doesn't know what he would do. Kida would like to think he's changed, but honestly part of her is scared that he'll hunt them down again. There's no point in telling him. It's not worth the risk.

Second, Kida will find Appa. Whatever it takes.

»»---------------------►

THAT NIGHT, AFTER IROH AND ZUKO ARE ASLEEP, KIDA SNEAKS OUT. She puts on a bandana to cover her face and straps her knife to her belt before quietly leaving the apartment through the window.

Kida jumps from rooftop to rooftop, until she spots a Dai Li agent who is isolated from the rest. He looks a bit younger from the rest of the agents she's seen around, which means an easier target. She doesn't want to draw too much unwanted attention, but if anyone would know what happens behind the walls of this city, it would be the Dai Li. Quietly, Kida climbs down, swiftly ambushing the agent by locking him against the wall and pressing her knife against his throat.

"Scream, and it might be the last thing you ever do," she warns.

"What do you want?" The agent grits through his teeth.

"You're going to tell me where the Avatar's bison is being held. Or any other information about his whereabouts."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

Kida applies more pressure to her hold, causing the agent's face to contort in pain. "I don't believe you." The agent squints in an attempt to appear unbothered, but Kida notices beads of sweat start to form on his forehead. She presses the knife harder. "Lie, and it will be the last thing you ever do."

Kida gives him some time to consider his options.

The agent sighs, frustrated. He tells Kida where to go and how to get there.

Kida lets go of the agent. "Wait." She grabs him by the sleeve before he can run off. "You better not tell anyone about this. You wouldn't want to get fired so soon, would you?"

Kida smirks as she disappears into the night, her heart beating rapidly, excitedly, in her chest.

There's something so comforting about slipping into old habits. And, apparently, it pays off.

»»---------------------►

KIDA FOLLOWS THE MAZE OF DARK, UNDERGROUND TUNNELS. She stays in the shadows as best she can, trying not to get lost in the process. Before long, Kida is pushing open the door of a cell. For a split second, she hesitates, wondering whether or not that agent was telling the truth. But, she's gotten this far, so, really, there's no turning back.