➳ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘢𝘵𝘦

KIDA WOULD NEVER ADMIT IT, BUT SOKKA HAS ACTUALLY GOTTEN BETTER AT SWORD FIGHTING.

His moves are much less predictable. In sword fighting, it's absolutely crucial to be unpredictable, to keep your opponent on their toes -- that was something Kida had learned from her mother, and apparently, Sokka had learned from Piandao as well. It's clear that he learned a lot from his training, and it helps that his sword is custom made to fit his capabilities. Of course, Kida's is too: a sword engraved with a dragon on the gold hilt, that is the perfect combination of beauty and power. The weapon is light and easy to handle, allowing for fluid movements, and is also strong enough to deliver a final strike. Kida's heart flutters when she thinks that this sword was made for her by the boy she loves, but she won't let those feelings interfere with her determination to win against said boy like she has so many times before.

Sokka lunges forward; Kida dodges, then attempts to strike, only for him to dismantle the sword from her hand.

"Ha! I win this time," Sokka announces triumphantly, though slightly out of breath.

"Only if I surrender," Kida scoffs.

Kida is quick as she tries to grab her sword from the ground, but Sokka is quicker. He uses Kida's momentum against her, using his foot as a barrier to cause her to tumble to the ground. Sokka swiftly pins her underneath him, so that she's trapped between his legs, one of his hands holding her wrist down above her head while the other grasps the sword pointed underneath her chin.

Sokka tilts his head and smirks. "Now do you surrender?"

"No," Kida replies instantly. Blowing a piece of hair out of her face, Kida scans her surroundings. Her sword would be reachable if Sokka didn't have his hand pressed down on her wrist, and there didn't seem to be any other options without causing him serious damage. "Fine," Kida grumbles. "You win."

"Sorry, I don't think I heard you," Sokka taunts. "Who won?"

"You really want me to say it again?"

Sokka pretends to think about it for a second before replying: "Uh, yeah."

Kida rolls her eyes. "You win," she declares, her words dripping with annoyance.

"Aw, don't be mad," Sokka teases. "What, you don't like being underneath me?"

Feeling her cheeks heat up, Kida, whether involuntarily or not, releases a flame from the palm of her hand. Sokka lets out a yelp, removing his hand from Kida's wrist. Kida takes the opportunity to reclaim her sword. Kida pushes Sokka off of her. She stands up and Sokka follows suit, both having their swords at the ready.

"Hey!"

Kida smirks. "What, you don't like being burned?"

 "We said no firebending."

"Ever hear the saying, 'all's fair in love and war'?"

"As a matter of fact, I have not," Sokka scoffs.

"Well, this is the perfect example of it." Kida gestures between herself and Sokka. "Love." She then points to the swords. "War."

"Aw, you love me?" Sokka questions, his tone mocking.

Kida shakes her head, but laughs breathlessly. "Shut up, Wolftail." Based on the growing shadows around them, it seems as though a few hours had passed. Sure enough, when Kida turns the sun had started moving closer to the West.

"We should get back to camp," Sokka states as though reading Kida's mind. He sheaths his sword, and Kida does the same to hers.

When Sokka starts to walk back towards camp, Kida catches his hand with hers. "Wait. Before we go....I"