➳𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘪𝘹𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯: 𝘮𝘰𝘰𝘯𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘤𝘬

THAT EVENING, Kida and Katara watch the sunset together and recount the events of their respective days. Katara was almost on the floor, laughing, when Kida told her about Sokka's plan, but was ultimately happy to hear that everything turned out alright. Then, Kida listened intently when Katara told her about her impromptu waterbending battle with Master Pakku that resulted in her being allowed to train under him.

"I can't believe you actually challenged a waterbending master and stood your ground," Kida gushes, smiling proudly at her friend. "You're a real badass, Katara."

The girl smiles back shyly. "That means a lot coming from you. I'm just really excited that I have a master to teach me, after all these years. It's like I can finally reach my full potential as a bender, you know?"

Kida nods, but doesn't say anything more. As the sun finishes setting, Kida starts to think about how she never really got to reach her full potential as a bender herself, and probably never will, and how, no matter how hard she tries to ignore it, that a part of her would always be in flames. A fire that is controlled, maybe, but can never be extinguished.

When the moon rises and stars start to paint the sky, Kida allows her thoughts to drift off with the sunlight and instead focus on something else. Or, rather, someone else.

"I have a date with Yue," Kida suddenly says. She realizes then that she would never get used to saying that, and every time she would, her heart would beat faster than Aang on an air scooter. Katara, who also seemed to be daydreaming, turns to Kida and raises an eyebrow.

"Really?" Kida nods. "Huh."

For some reason, Kida was expecting a more enthusiastic answer. She was going on a date! With a princess, of all people! That basically happens once in a blue moon, but given Katara's reaction, you'd think that Kida just told her that ice is cold.

"That's all I get? I thought you'd be excited, happy, for me."

"Oh, sorry!" Katara exclaims, looking at Kida apologetically. "You're right, I am really happy for you. It's just....does Sokka know?"

"Yeah," Kida replies stiffly, feeling a little uneasy at the mention of his name. "He actually said he thinks I should go."

Although, uneasy wasn't exactly the right word...confused, maybe. About whether or not she should meet Yue. It's not that she doesn't like Yue like that — Kida's inability to form coherent sentences around the girl is a clear giveaway that she does — but then, for a brief moment, Kida thinks about Sokka.

Sokka, who Kida hated when they first met because he was arrogant and sexist and sarcastic. Sokka, who was all those things but so much more: funny, strategic, and loyal. Sokka, who challenges Kida in the best way possible. Sokka, who makes Kida feel awake even after nights and nights of lost sleep, whose smile alone gives Kida a shot of adrenaline and the motivation to keep fighting. In some ways, Kida feels as if she's known him her entire life and can see a future with him, but it's a feeling she knows is dangerous because it complicates everything. It makes Kida over-think and rethink every lie she's told and every truth about herself she's hidden. Just being friends is hard enough as it is with that burden, and if she and Sokka were to become more...well, it's not like Kida should worry about that, because he made it pretty clear last night where he stood. Just friends.

And Kida can live with that.

Her date with Yue couldn't come soon enough.

Katara helps Kida get ready for her date. Strangely, Sokka was nowhere to be found, so Katara is the one who braids some loose strands of Kida's hair. It's different than when Sokka would do it; and even if Katara's braids are neater, Kida can't help but miss the way Sokka's fingers gently comb through her hair and the soft groans of frustration he let out whenever he made a mistake or the braid wasn't even so he had to restart.