➳ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘪𝘹: 𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨

IN THE WEEK OR SO THAT FOLLOWS, SOKKA AND KIDA actually manage to be civil towards each other. Their obvious dislike for each other and constant combativeness had been replaced with a friendliness that, to Aang and Katara, seemed genuine, yet both Sokka and Kida knew that it was anything but. Kida wanted the satisfaction of winning their bet, and she figured that Sokka wanted the same, so both were firmly abiding by the 'no arguments in front of Aang and/or Katara' rule, and went out of their way to be overly, almost annoyingly, sweet to each other in an effort to break the other down.

It was enough to convince Aang and Katara that the two were becoming friends.

The first indication of Kida and Sokka's 'blossoming friendship' was when they agreed to stick the route that Sokka had originally planned, but to also schedule in overnight camping breaks that Kida suggested, which were every three days, so that Aang and Katara can practice waterbending and Appa can rest.

This schedule left Sokka and Kida lots of time to do, well, nothing in particular, but gave them a break from having to keep up the appearance of being friends. They only had to be convincing while Aang and Katara were around, so otherwise, they just stayed as far away from each other as possible.

The only thing was, this also left Kida lots of time to overthink.

Kida spent the time reminding herself that she shouldn't get too attached. She was here to honor her family's memory and live out the prophecy that has haunted them for decades. It was destiny and duty that led her to team Avatar, and it was why she stayed.

But, sometimes, Aang reminded Kida so much of her brother, it made her happier than she's been in a long time. Aang was energetic and curious and, above everything, kind. He would listen intently to Kida's stories, the ones she created by looking at the clouds or at the stars, the ones Hiro loved to hear, as well. He would show Kida random airbending tricks with such enthusiasm, it would make her smile every time. Kida was amazed that Aang could have the fate of the world on his shoulders, and still have the energy to be a kid. It reminded Kida that she was one, too (a teenager, but close enough) and that gave her comfort.

Katara and Kida first bonded over the fact that people tend to underestimate them because they were girls. But, what Kida grew to learn about Katara was how compassionate she was, how much she cared for others, and how fierce and determined she could be. With Katara, Kida felt safe.

And then, there was Sokka -

No, no, Kida wasn't here to find a new family, so there was no point of even entertaining the idea. She couldn't live in this fantasy, of getting attached and becoming close to the team.

Because, when you get close to someone, you tend to tell them about yourself and all your secrets, all your walls start to break down until they just see...you. Not the person you claim to be, or the person you're pretending to be, but you, who you really are, inside and out. Then, you start to learn about them in the same way, you spend more time together, you end up loving and caring for each other and -

And, that was dangerous for Kida. Not just because of who she really was, but because she knows that, sooner or later, the people she loves end up leaving, one way or another. Kida found that it's usually easier for her leave before then, but this time, that doesn't seem like an option.

»»---------------------►

EARLIER, KIDA WALKED TO A NEARBY VILLAGE to buy some fish and rice for dinner (it turns out that her previous disagreement with Sokka over who lost the money meant nothing, because Momo had taken it), Aang and Katara practiced waterbending and Sokka did whatever.