➳ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘰: 𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘴

AANG AND KATARA LEAD KIDA TO THEIR CAMP, while Sokka, who is still wary of the girl, trails behind. On the way, they fill Kida in on their plan to find Aang a waterbending master at the North Pole. Apparently, after Avatar Roku contacted Aang and told him that he would have to master all four elements and defeat the Fire Lord before the end of summer, Aang (understandably) started to freak out a little.

"We're here for now so that I can start teaching Aang waterbending," Katara explains.

"Well, I guess this is the place to do it," Kida remarks, looking around at the large body of water in front of them, complete with a waterfall.

"Oh, by the way, this is Momo," Aang informs, pointing to the flying lemur that's sitting on his shoulder. "And this is Appa," he says. He walks over to a large, furry creature and pets him. Kida follows his lead. "Hey buddy, this is Kida. She's gonna be with us from now on."

Appa lets out a groan and licks Kida affectionately.

"I think he likes you," Aang laughs.

"So what if the giant flying bison likes her," Sokka scoffs. He throws his stuff on the ground, then crosses his arms. "It doesn't mean we have to trust her."

Katara rolls her eyes. "Ignore my brother, he'll come around eventually. He can be a little cautious around new people."

"Yeah, you should've seen him when he first met me," Aang adds. "But now we're best friends. Right, Sokka?" He rushes over to Sokka and throws an arm around him.

Sokka grumbles something under his breath and shakes his head, but eventually cracks a smile.

"See what I mean?" Katara comments. "Before you know it, you'll be a part of the family."

After Katara walks away, Kida is left alone. She places her belongings on the ground next to Appa, then takes in the scene before her. Katara and Aang are examining the waterbending scroll as Sokka sits on the side and occasionally offers sarcastic comments. Even Appa and Momo seem to be engaged in a vivid conversation.

Kida knows she shouldn't get too attached. This war has taken so many things from her, all the people she loved. There's no point in finding another family, only to lose them again. Part of her wants to just run, because that's what she's so used to do it. Yet, something tugged at Kida's heart, as if it's telling her that this is where she's meant to be.

»»---------------------►

IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, Kida hears a noise and springs up, ready to attack whoever is near. It takes a moment for her to remember that she isn't alone, hiding out in some abandoned building. She's camping on the edge of a forest with three people she just met and sleeping against a leg of the Avatar's flying bison.

"Shh, it's only me," Katara whispers.

"Oh," Kida sighs. She allows her body to relax. "Where are you going?"

"I can't sleep, so I wanted to go over a few waterbending moves." She gestures towards the scroll in her hand. " I'll be back before the morning."

"Okay," Kida replies, although she's already snuggling back against Appa's fur.

»»---------------------►

SINCE KIDA ESSENTIALLY RISES WITH THE SUN, she finds herself awake before anyone else. She also notices that Katara had yet to return. Kida knows better than to assume that everything is okay, so she goes out to look for the water tribe girl, armed with her bow and a knife.