➳ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘰: 𝘳𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩 𝘸𝘢𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴

"WHY ARE WE ON A FIRE NATION SHIP?" Aang asks. "Why is everyone dressed that way? And why am I the only one who's completely out of it?"

"Back in Ba Sing Se, you got hurt pretty bad," Kida explains as she places a blanket around Aang's shoulders. "Katara managed to heal you."

Katara walks over and brings Aang into a tight hug. "I like your hair," she comments with a small smile.

Aang widens his eyes. "I have hair?" Panicked, Aang runs his hands through his hair. "How long have I been out?

"We'll explain everything," Kida assures. She guides Aang to where Toph, Sokka, and Hakoda are eating noodles. Kida puts together a bowl for Aang and hands it to him, while the others explain everything, from their time in Chameleon Bay, to Kida's plan of disguising themselves as Fire Nation soldiers, to the modified version of Sokka's invasion plan.

"Just a ragtag team of our friends and allies from around the Earth Kingdom," Sokka explains. "And the best part is, the eclipse isn't even our biggest advantage. We have a secret." Sokka looks around, then leans in closer. "You."

"Me?" Aang repeats, confused.

"Yup, the whole world thinks you're dead," Sokka notes, cheerily. Kida glares at Sokka when she notices Aang starting to freak out.

"No, no, no, you have no idea!" Aang shouts in a rush. "This is so messed up!" From a distance, the sound of another Fire Nation ship can be heard, to which Aang pulls out his glider, ready for battle. "I'll handle this. The Avatar is back."

"They don't know we're not Fire Nation," Kida points out. "If we play it cool, we can just sail by. "

"Everyone just stay calm," Hakoda interrupts. "Bato and I will take care of this."

"I hate not being able to do anything," Aang grumbles. Kida drags him behind the door frame to the engine room. Katara, Toph and Sokka hide elsewhere.

"Hopefully, we won't need to," Kida whispers. When a fight does break out — the soldiers somehow realize that their disguise is just that — Kida has to hold him back. "Aang, no! "

"What? I can't just stand by and do nothing!"

"Aang, come on!" Kida protests. "You're still hurt and, yeah, I hate to admit it, but Sokka is right. You have to stay a secret."

Aang groans, and Kida completely understands his frustration: the desire to do something, anything to help out, but not being able to for the greater good. That feeling of failing, and needing to redeem yourself. "Fine."

»»---------------------►

WHEN THE SHIP DOCKS AT A PORT, KIDA, SOKKA, KATARA, AND TOPH GO VISIT AANG IN HIS ROOM.

"Hey, Aang, we're going into town for dinner, want to come?" Toph offers.

Aang, who is laying on his bed, clutching his stomach. "Well, I am pretty hungry. Maybe dinner is a good idea."

Everyone smiles as Aang gets up. "Here," Sokka says. He offers Aang a Fire Nation headband. "Tie this around your head. It'll cover your arrow."

"I'm not going out if I can't wear my arrow proudly!" Aang lays back down.

"Aang, come on," Sokka insists. "Be reasonable."

When Aang turns away, Kida sighs. "You guys go ahead." After the rest of the group leaves, Kida sits on the edge of the bed next to Aang. "Look, I know that this can't be easy for you. You think that you failed, but —"