➳ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘪𝘹: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘪𝘳𝘭

tw: some intense scenes + violence + blood

╔➷════════════➷╗

"Spring passes

and one remembers one's innocence."

-Yoko Ono

╚➹════════════➹╝

YOKO IS A NATURAL LEARNER. She's definitely not a natural at everything Kida teaches her: Yoko can barely land an arrow on a designated target, let alone hold a bow correctly. Still Kida admires how fiercely determined Yoko is to try as hard as she can, and how she never gives up. They've only had three training sessions so far, but Kida knows that with time, Yoko will be a skilled archer just like her, and maybe even better.

"What does climbing a tree have to do with archery?" Yoko asks one day after Kida explains to her what they're doing during training. After continuing their journey for half the day, Kida stops to set up camp in a wooded area near a prominent Fire Nation colony. She plans to break into the mayor's house after nightfall, when Yoko is asleep. Since she only gets a chance to put on 'the Hood' at night, Kida has started to take more from the houses she breaks into, so she has more to give to the people who need it, with money to use to get food for Yoko, too.

Even though more posters of 'the Hood' have been popping up around the Earth Kingdom, with the reward for her capture getting higher and higher, Kida isn't worried about getting caught. As long as no one sees her with her cape and her bow, she should be fine and Yoko is safe from harm. The girl is only starting to pick up archery and is nowhere near ready to ambush guards and steal gold from the wealthy, and the last thing Kida wants is getting her involved in something so dangerous.

"When you're an archer, trees become your best friends," Kida explains. She taps the tree beside her affectionately for added effect. "You can climb them to get a vantage point for your target, or to hide and surprise them when they least expect it."

"Can't I just shoot a couple arrows?" Yoko asks, reaching for the bow in Kida's hand.

"No," Kida replies, placing her bow on the ground and sliding the quiver of arrows off her shoulder. "Today, I'm teaching you how to climb a tree. Now, follow me."

Yoko frowns, but doesn't protest. By now, Yoko knows how stubborn Kida can be and knows better than to argue with her. She listens to Kida as she guides her higher and higher, telling Yoko where to place her feet and which part of the tree is secure to grab on to. Soon enough, Kida sets herself down in the spot where a branch meets the tree trunk. She looks down to Yoko, smiling proudly.

"Nice job, kid."

Yoko smiles back, but in that moment, she slips and crashes to the ground.

»»---------------------►

KIDA HAS NEVER JUMPED FROM A TREE FASTER. When she reaches Yoko and sees her body limp and eyes closed, Kida's heart stops.

"Yoko?" she whispers. Kida crouches down and shakes the girl's shoulders, but nothing happens. She almost starts to cry, until a smile spreads across Yoko's face.

"That. Was. Awesome!" Yoko laughs. She opens her eyes and tries to sit up, but her leg stops her and she winces in pain. It must be broken, but Kida is too in shock to register that fact. She helps Yoko lean her back against a tree trunk so she can sit up.