➳ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘪𝘹: 𝘴𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘪𝘵 𝘮𝘢𝘨𝘪𝘤

THE NEXT MORNING, APPA IS SICK.

The group ends up going back to the village because it looks like Appa would need some medicine. Compared to yesterday, though, the village seems brighter and the villagers happier.

"Is it just me, or does this village feel different?" Toph wonders, vocalizing Kida's thoughts.

"Yeah, people seem...happier," Aang notices.

Once the team reaches Dock's food stall, Sokka leans against the counter and asks: "Hey, Dock. What happened here?"

Dock smiles widely. "Something amazing happened last night. Food was delivered by the Painted Lady!"

Katara tilts her head. "The Painted- who?"

"The Painted Lady is part of our town's lore," Dock explains. He reaches under the counter, then places a small statue of a spirit lady, wearing flowing red robes and paint marking her face. "They say she's a river spirit who watches over our town in times of need. I always thought she was just a legend. Until now."

The spirit looks serene yet powerful; something Kida has only ever seen in Katara.

"See, these people don't need us. They already have someone to help them," Sokka says pointedly towards Katara. Then, he turns back towards Dock. "We need medicine for our friend."

Dock's face falls. "Sorry, all of our medicine goes to the factory. That's why we have so many sick people." He brightens again. "But I can offer you some food. Would you like the one or two headed fish?"

»»---------------------►

"THIS SUCKS!" SOKKA EXCLAIMS LATER THAT NIGHT. After a minor freak out over the schedule and lots of convincing, Sokka reluctantly agrees that they should stay another night so that

He and Kida snuck away from camp again after the rest of the team fell asleep.

Kida rolls her eyes from her spot close to the small fire she lit earlier, playing with the embers that fly into the air. "It's fine, Wolftail. One day won't ruin everything."

"It might!" He flops to the ground next to Kida, crossing his legs. "Then this would all be for nothing!"

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes once more, Kida turns to Sokka. "Sokka, it's going to be okay." She takes his hand in hers and squeezes it, before turning back to continue playing with the fire.

"You know, I thought you of all people would want to defeat the royal family. Aren't you worried that you won't get to do that with all these detours we've been taking?"

Kida sighs, and the fire dulls as she exhales. Her anger towards Zuko for betraying her and siding with the Fire Nation hadn't faded yet, but it had morphed into something else. Kida was hurt by what Zuko did to her, to Uncle, to the world. She wants to confront him, challenge him to an Agni Kai. How poetic would it be for Zuko to have taught Kida how to firebend, only to lose to her in battle? Deep down, though, Kida knows that she isn't anywhere near that level, and probably will never be. Maybe a swordfight? She'd stand a chance, a good one, if she had a sword. That left Kida with her bow and arrows, like it had always been. Regardless, that wasn't the priority. The priority was getting Aang to defeat the Fire Lord, restoring balance and ending the war.

A world without war.

Underneath the relief of that idea, was an impending fear Kida's , who has always gone through life fighting one war or another. If they don't make it, if...if they lose, what happens next?