Chapter Five, Part A

Hayden heard the creaking of wood and the whips of ropes snapping and turned to see what was going on. The elves were scrambling to keep the trees bent open but it was only a matter of time before they snapped shut. More elves jumped on the ropes that were dragging the elves through the snow and mud. The trees snapped back right when Rilora was lowering down to land. Cass and Shaylin had already made it to the forest floor.

            As the trees snapped back in place, throwing snow everywhere, the branches swung forward like a whip and cracked against Rilora’s backside, sending her plummeting down to the ground below to land with a deafening thump. The sound traveled through the ground and Hayden felt it in his saddle.

            The forest went into a frenzy for a split second. Birds went flying in all directions and animals bolted to get as far away from the loud noises as possible. As the chaos died down the forest became silent as everyone, Hayden included, held their breath to see what the hot headed copper dragon would do after being spanked by a tree.

            Hayden leaned close to Draek’s body and braced himself for Draek to move suddenly in case Rilora had to be controlled. It proved to be for naught as Rilora just roared her frustration but listened to her rider’s comforting words.

            “Rilora, you’re just fine. They did not do it on purpose and see, no one is laughing at you so there is nothing to get upset about. It was an accident.” Shane patted his copper dragon on the side and did his best to keep her calm.

            Everyone breathed a sigh of relief as Rilora gave one last look at the trees over head and lowered herself to the ground so Shane could get off. As Shane lowered himself from his saddle Hayden, Cass and Kirin started undoing their straps.

            Once the riders were off, Draek and Shaylin moved over to lay next Rilora. Kirin’s green dragon looked like it wanted to join them but thought better of it and laid down by itself.

            “This is the hidden city Feren, you should feel privileged. You are the first Metallic Riders to be welcomed here since Isaac The Golden.” Kirin told them as they made their way towards all the awaiting elves. Hayden did not believe her when she said “welcomed” by the looks on the elves faces.

            Draek we will be right back let me know if anything strange happens. Hayden looked back to see both Draek and Shaylin huddling up close to Rilora.

            Draek raised his silver head out of the pile of metallic scales to look at Hayden. And you try to stay out of trouble this time. He replied.

            “Shane, great job with Rilora. You did amazingly calming her down.” Cass said as they walked.

            “No it was all Rilora, she controlled her anger all on her own. I am just glad she didn’t lose it and try to burn the forest down.” Shane truly looked relieved because they all knew that there was a real possibility that that could have happened.

            “That would have never had happened.” Kirin said with all seriousness.