Chapter 23

Shane had no idea how to respond.

He looked over his shoulder again as the sky rained down dragons. He was too far away to make out any of the dragons or their riders but by the looks of how many dragons had arrived he had to know many of them.

At the sight of all the dragons Rilora put on a burst of speed back to Out Post.

Shaylin and Cass are on their way back. They have already told all the green dragons and the elves are preparing for battle. Rilora shouted with her mind. Shane did not need to respond but he felt his heart begin to race.

War has come.

Shane couldn't help but think. Although his nerves were on high alert and his heart was racing a strange calmness came over him. The waiting was finally over and soon the fighting would begin.

As Rilora raced across the forest, Shane noticed the rivers of elves flowing underneath the trees all making their way to the edge of the forest and the enemy that awaited them on the other side.

Let it be enough. He thought as he saw the swarm of elves mounted on their stags begin to move through the trees as well.

Enough thinking like that. Rilora scolded. It will be enough because we are more than enough to handle those overly shinny dragons. They were bread to have statues made in their likeness and jewelry made from their scales. I was bread for war. Rilora roared with all her might.

Her trumpet echoed over the forest tops and caused birds to take flight all around them. The elves that had heard her roar added their voice to hers and soon the forest was alive with shouting.

The forest seemed to have a heart beat as the elves pushed through the path ways like blood through veins.

I think you just gave them the best motivational speech. Shane thought as Out Post came into view. Even from far away Shane could make out the golden Shaylin about to land on top of Out Post.

When Rilora touched down on the landing pad Shane was already getting out of the saddle. He slid down her side and shot off to the trap door as fast as he could. Within seconds Shane was busting into the war room, red faced and out of breath.

Cass was in the room, already clad in her own golden armor, grabbing up maps and other documents and speedily rolling them up and placing them in a large, leather tube.

"The dragons are here." Shane said in between breaths.

"I know, I just found out before you got here." Cass said. Her voice was full of worry as she scrambled around to get the last few documents.

"I saw them land, just behind the main encampment." Shane said.

"How many were there? Were they starting to attack or did it look like they were going to be grounded for a while?" Cass stopped what she was doing to face Shane as she asked her questions.

"I am not sure how many there were but it was more than we have. The sky was full of dragons." Shane ran over to a large map in the middle of the room that depicted a detailed drawing of Eytherka and the Star Light Plains.

"There." He pointed his finger to just behind where the enemy had set up camp. "They were still coming out of the sky while we were heading over here so I don't know how far back they go." Shane was trying his best to stay calm but the sight of all the dragons in the air made it seem like their battle was already lost.