Chapter 21

Shane walked through the forest alone, just as the sun was beginning to rise. The air around him was crisp and cool but not uncomfortably cold. Spring was in full bloom in Eytherka. Shane gingerly stepped over logs and fallen sticks, trying his best not to make too much noise.

What are you doing? Rilora asked him. Shane decided it better not to answer her and continued his lone walk. Shane made his way through the dense woods until the trees began to thin out and the new day light began to shine through the gaps. He had made it to the edge of the forest and the Star Light Plains lay out before him.

Shane edged his way out of the natural cover that the forest gave him and looked around the Star Light Plains. It did not take long for his eyes to fall upon the enemies' encampment.

They had taken up camp on the hill that Cass had expected them to. At this point everything they had done so far Cass had expected them to do. Across the open green fields the camp looked like a giant wound on the flesh of the earth.

They had erected small tents for the solders all around three larger tents. Smoke lazy flew into the air from countless fires and Shane could even make out the ringing sounds of a blacksmith's hammer, piercing through the silence with its rhythmic hammering.

Shane could see the make shift fence that houses hundreds of horses for their cavalry stretching over the far side of the hill, furthest away from the forest. On the front side of the hill closest to Shane he could see where they had just laid out the pieces of their war machines. Shane saw everything that he had expected to see in their war camp except for one thing: dragons.

Shane looked around the camp and up in the sky but still he couldn't see a single Metallic Dragon anywhere.

Something is not right. Shane thought. He had no idea what they were planning to do and that bothered him. The idea of battle and war did not bother Shane, but the secret plans and traps left a sour taste in his mouth. He wanted to face his enemy head on but it would seem that was not an option here.

Shane took one last look around the enemy encampment and turned back into the woods, disappearing from sight. Once he was deep enough into the woods Shane called out to his copper dragon.

Rilora, I need you to come get me and take me to Cass. He said, looking up through the clearing in the trees, half expecting Rilora to burst through the branches.

Now are you going to tell me what you are up to? Rilora asked. Shane laughed and made his way to an opening in the woods that was large enough for a dragon to land in.

I will tell you and Cass at the same time. Shane replied just as he saw a flicker of copper streak across the horizon.

"Are you crazy?" Cass yelled. "No seriously, do you have a death wish for you and Rilora?" She asked without giving Shane a chance to answer.

Shane was about to answer but once again, Cass cut him off before he could utter a syllable.

"We are about to go to war and you go for a leisurely walk to see what the enemy was doing, without your dragon?" Shane had met Cass in their old room in Out Post. Since everything that had happened Cass had kept their old room and Shane had gotten his own quarters.

"Ok I know you are mad but it wasn't like that." Shane finally was able to speak up.

"It wasn't like that? Really, then please explain what really did happen. Because it sounds to me like you went off unarmed and without your dragon to get a better look at the enemy whose only reason for being here is the three of us." Cass shot back at Shane.