Chapter Thirteen, Part B

The sun rose up to find Draek and Hayden already awake and looking over the map together. Hayden had the map laid out in front of him while Draek looked over his shoulder.

So you think we have to head up the coast a little bit further and then cut over the water? Hayden asked for the third time since they tried to figure out where exactly they were. Based on the map the flight from the shore to the island they were supposed to go to was going to be a long one and there was nothing near the island so if they missed, they were going to be in trouble.

Draek remained silent for a few moments as he studied the map and then looked down the shore line. I think we are further down then we need to be, if we head out now I am afraid that we will miss the island.

Hayden looked down at the map again. He was trying to find some land mark that they could gauge where they were at. Sadly there wasn't much to go off of except for the Light House. Hayden wasn't sure what to do but he trusted Draek.

Ok lets go. Hayden rolled up the map and put it back in its place in the saddle. Draek lowered himself and Hayden made the familiar climb into the saddle.

As soon as Hayden gave Draek the signal the silver dragon took to the sky and headed up the coast line.

I think we need to turn now. Hayden said as they continued flying close to the shore. They had been flying for only a short time but as the sandy beaches flew by beneath them Hayden got more nervous that they had past the point that they had needed to turn at.

You said that already. Draek complained. Hayden had in fact voiced his concern several times.

So are you going to turn in? Hayden asked, looking out over the ocean. Draek responded by turning slowly and putting the land behind them. As they made it further and further out to sea Hayden suddenly doubted whether or not he had in fact made the right decision.

Draek began raising higher as he pumped his wings, letting the land linger behind them longer.

Soon the water bellow them began to look like a strange, softly moving painting rather than the sporadic choppiness that Hayden knew was down there. Before long it finally happened; they made it to a point where Hayden could see nothing but blue water all around them.

Hayden couldn't help but feel lost and alone over the giant ocean. He began to worry about which way was which and soon he was so lost and confused he started having trouble breathing.

Relax, relax. Draek spoke smoothly, trying his best to calm Hayden down.

I can't. We are lost and I have no idea how to get back to the main land. Hayden continued to freak out as he made his fears worse for himself.

Hayden, look up at the sun. Draek roared in Hayden's head. Hayden quickly looked at the position of the sun and looked away because of the brightness.

We are heading towards the sun. Remember that, we are not lost as long as we continue in this direction. The island will be right where it's supposed to be and everything will be fine. Hayden took a deep breath and found comfort in his friend's voice. He dug down deep and found his courage.

"Of course the island will be there, we should reach it in just a few hours." Hayden said out loud.

A few hours later the island was nowhere in sight. No land was in sight.

Draek was still confident that they were heading the right direction.

You had to read the map wrong. That's all this is, what you saw as a few hour flight is obviously going to be a little bit longer. Draek said with more anger in his voice than judgment.