Chapter One, part A

Draek pumped his massive silver wings as he hovered over the forest. Cassidy and Shane moved their dragons to fly closer to Draek so they couldn’t be separated.

            “What do we do now?” Cassidy shouted at Hayden. Hayden had already asked himself that question and with Draek’s help they were trying to figure out an answer.

            Can you talk to them and explain what is going on? Hayden asked. Draek nodded his silver head and looked intently at what they assumed was the lead green dragon.

            As soon as Draek had tried to communicate with the green dragon the forest around them erupted with hundreds of dragon roars, causing countless birds to take to the sky and flee.

            They don’t want to hear me, they are saying we are a few weeks early and they were not expecting us yet. They do not like us but they are afraid of us. Draek sounded confused about his last thought.

            Hayden understood his confusion as he looked around at the hundreds of green dragons, and their armored riders that sat upon them, that completely surrounded them.

            Before Hayden could ask Cassidy what was going she urged her golden dragon, Shaylin, forward to fly level with the green dragon leader. The green dragons roared in protest as she got closer the lead dragon; Hayden and Shane looked at each other as fear gripped their hearts.

            “Cass, what are you doing, get back here now!” Hayden yelled at her. She was close enough for the green dragon to strike Shaylin let alone if he decided to breath fire and completely engulf them.

            Cass made no response to him; whether or not she heard him Hayden did not know. Once she stopped ascending she spoke loud enough for everyone to hear.

            “I am Cassidy the Gold, this is my dragon Shaylin. We are Metallic Riders and have business to attend to. We do not care if you were not expecting us, we are here now and you are in our way. Take us to the tower now and no one will have to hear about this.” She stared into the helmet of the green rider, waiting for his response.

            Hayden was having a hard time closing his mouth, he always kept his bow strung while in the saddle and now he reached for it and an arrow. He kept his eyes on the lead dragon as he prepared for a battle he knew was going to come and he knew they were going to lose.

            The green dragon did the most unexpected thing that Hayden could have imagined. Hayden could see the dragon breathing heavily and he watched the rider fiddle with the reins but instead of fighting, he only said a few words.

            “Right this way, my lady.” He bowed slightly in the saddle and pulled the reins on his dragon, forcing it to fly away at a slow enough pace that Hayden and Shane could catch up to them.

            Hayden hadn’t closed his mouth in a few moments and his tongue was starting to get dry, but it took a bug flying in his open mouth to force him to close it.