Chapter Thirteen, Part A

k Hayden and Draek flew through the sky with speed and purpose. They were on a mission, and taking their time by flying leisurely and comfortably was not an option. The miles quickly melted away beneath them as Draek continuously pumped his massive wings, forcing his large silver body to cut through the through the air. Hayden did his best to keep his body close to Draek's. Draek could fly faster if he needed to, much faster, but Hayden knew that at this rate Draek would still tire out before nightfall so he wanted to make the burden of Draek having to carry him as light as he could.

It had been a few hours since they had stopped for their last break; Draek would not need to eat until much later. How are you doing? Hayden asked for the fourth time. Draek did not respond with words but instead he let smoke billow out of his mouth, as if he was some insane contraption ran by fire.

If we need to take a break we can. You don't need to push yourself so hard. Hayden was happy with the progress that they were making, and he wanted to keep up the pace but he was worried about Draek pushing too far and possibly pulling a muscle, even flying to the point of exhaustion.

I am fine. Draek replied. To prove his point he pushed himself harder, flying even faster than before. Hayden decided to leave Draek alone; he knew that there was no arguing with a dragon, let alone Draek.

Hayden watched as the landscape raced underneath them, trees become streaks of green. The map had given Hayden a rough estimate about when they might reach the coast line that divided Sea Serpent territory from elf territory but with how fast Draek was flying Hayden guessed that they would reach it before the sun would set.

After a few more minutes of silence Hayden was bored and began day dreaming. Wondering what would happen after the battle and what his friends were doing back in Erskine.

Do you miss them? Draek asked as Hayden shuffled through memories of what seemed like another person's life. Hayden remembered last winter when it snowed and all the local kids ran out into the field to have a giant snow ball fight. Hayden had truly felt like he belonged, like he was part of the town even if just for a second.

Sometimes. Hayden replied. He had not thought about his old home and his old life much since he had become a dragon rider. It was all he had ever hoped for and he had never thought about what he would have done if he hadn't hatched Draek.

During his training he was usually so tired and worn out that it had been too hard to think. When Hayden thought about the people back in his home town deep down inside he did miss them but not as much as he had thought he should have.

I never really felt like I was meant to be there. Every child there was being trained to grow up and do whatever their father or mother did. Famers stayed farmers and blacksmiths trained their children to be blacksmiths. Hayden only had to think about the summer after he had turned 14 for Draek to understand. Hayden knew that all the other children his age were working with their parents.

Preparing for adult hood and contributing to their families. Hayden had wanted to work as well but as he went from shop to shop, blacksmith to bakery and farm house to lumber yard he received the same answer. No. They had all been too busy training their own children that they didn't have time to take on anyone else. Plus they got free labor from their children but Hayden they would have to pay.

That must have been difficult, not to fit in anywhere. Draek said.

It was at the time but because of times like that I began searching for my place, looking for what was my calling in life. Hayden couldn't help but smile as he remembered the day he had finally made up his mind that he was going to be dragon rider. Once the thought had been planted in his head there was nothing he could think about but dragons.