Chapter 27

Shane smashed his shield into the nearest person, sending him sprawling onto the battle field to be dealt with by the elves charging up behind him.

"Keep going!" Shane yelled as he continued to run further into the flow of enemies. He slashed into everything that moved around him and before long his limbs had taken on minds of their own.

Shane saw his sword whip out and blocked attacks that he had scarcely seen coming. He kicked out legs from underneath shields and used his fists just as much as he used his sword.

He caught glimpses of Cass surrounded by elves as she spun her deadly golden halberd over her head and brought it down with deadly accuracy.

All around them metallic soldiers fell never to rise again while elves danced around dropping more bodies.

With in a few minutes Shane was standing breathless with no one but elves and Cass around him. He looked to make sure that there were no soldiers left to fight and he let out a roar that matched his Rilora's.

The elves echoed his yell until they heard another horn blast ring out over the field.

"Get ready, they are about to send more men for us to kill!" Shane shouted.

This time the soldiers did not move, they did not advance like the last group did.

"What are they waiting for?" Shane asked Cass as she walked up next to him.

"They aren't going to make the same mistake twice." Cass replied. Shane was about to ask what she had meant when the ground began to shake underneath them.

All along the enemies line troops began to move to make way for giant metal and wooden war machines. Shane made out what looked like catapults near the front but the ones further to the back he had no idea what they were for.

"What are those things?" Shane asked. His question was the only sound coming from their side of the battle field.

"The ones in the back are called galiants. They are long range catapults that only launch one projectile at a time, like trebuchets but they have four giant mounted crossbows attached to them to keep dragons from getting close to them." Cass said.

Shane counted ten of both the catapults and galiants. Shane was about to ask what they should when the machines stopped moving forward. Shane didn't have to ask what they were doing.

"Get back to the trees!" Shane shouted. He turned and ran, repeating his orders as he ran.

The elves didn't need to be told more than once as Shane heard the machines make loud clicking noises behind him.

"Faster. Faster." Shane yelled before he realized that the elves were quickly getting ahead of them and Cass and himself were being left behind by the elves.

Before Shane could yell out another order he heard a loud, deep THUNK come from behind him. He pushed his legs as fast as they would go in his copper armor suit.

A giant ball of fire flew over their heads and smashed into the center of their fleeing army, showering everyone around with fire and dirt.

Shane put his shield in front of his face to block the intense heat. Shane heard the panic induced screams mix with the screams caused by pain as fire eagerly climbed over dozens of elves.