Golden eyes

Enemies to lovers (well at least I tried lol.) Az x reader requested by FaithSappington I hope you enjoy it's a super long one!

You were never very well liked around the camps where you lived. Not because
You were mean or cruel, but because you were a female who didn't fit into the perfect mold of what was typically expected in the camps. You spoke up, you fought back, you trained in secret. Though you were constantly overshadowed by your brothers and everyone reminded you of that.

And then the rumors began to spread and you developed a terrible reputation by no fault of your own, which made even the inner circle wary of you. This utterly broke your heart as you had admired them so intensely, and now all they did was glare and offer you short, cold responses whenever you asked something of them while they were visiting.

You put up the front of someone rude, cold, and angry as that was what everyone thought of you anyway, anything less would get you hurt. Or so you believed.

The one time you allowed the mask to slip, you had trusted the wrong person and now you were paying for it dearly.

The people in the camp just laughed when they found you in the morning, hung upside down by your ankles, badly beaten and utterly humiliated.

Even your father laughed, and you thought the inner circle would as well once they came upon the scene.

You thought they hated you after all.

But they didn't, instead they all looked horrified at what had been done, and the high lady ordered them to take you down.

Those in the camp vehemently refused, so General Cassian and Azriel did it themselves. The shadowsinger held you in his arms, his stare cold and calculated, as the highlord went on a rant about punishments and retribution.

Although you went unconscious before you could hear most of what he said, you understood what he meant.

*********

"Well welcome back, I was starting to think you had slip into a coma."

You stared at the woman above you as she moved over to continue tending to your wounds. You were disoriented and had the absolute worst headaches of your life. You could only manage a few words. "Where am I?"

"Velaris, the inner circle took you here after you went unconscious. It's been a few weeks since then."

You groaned as you saw the sunlight streaming in through the open window and immediately covered your face with a pillow. "I have a tonic for that if you would like."

"Yes ma'am that would be lovely. Thank you."

Your response was muffled but she understood well enough and handed you a vial that you downed in seconds. It was wretched but it did the job. "I was expecting you to be much more prickly."

"Rumors do a lot to ruin someone."

"Ah. I see. I suppose you don't want the inner circle to know that do you?"

"They hate me so what's the point in correcting them?"

She rose an eyebrow. "You seem saddened by that prospect."

"I used to admire them, and I thought they would at least offer me the benefit of the doubt but they didn't, so it doesn't really matter now if they like me or not."

You stopped speaking as soon as the door opened to reveal the highlord and lady, and you were sure to put up the front that they knew as your true nature.