Chapter Thirty-Nine

Vizima, 1243

Geralt sat on a rock observing the castle that contained Adda's crypt. Robin was beside him. She had about a thousand things she wanted to discuss with him, but they would all have to wait. The striga was more important right now.

It wasn't long before Triss joined them. "You were told to leave Temeria," she said bluntly.

Robin laughed. "Why does anyone assume you do what you're told?" she asked Geralt.

He chuckled along with her. "You have good views," he replied, gesturing at the castle.

"Are you going to kill her?" Triss demanded.

Geralt turned and looked at her. "I don't want the miners' coin," he assured her.

"Or mine, apparently," Triss argued. "What is this girl to you? Why do you care?"

"You first," Geralt decided nonchalantly. "I saw how Foltest and his boy spoke to you. Why help those who won't listen?"

Triss sighed. "I'm sure someone as legendary as you has already figured out several ways to get past Segelin's guards."

Geralt pointedly threw a rock onto the bridge. The guards ran away.

"It's always simpler than people think," Robin pointed out.

"Take Robin back to your tower," Geralt instructed Triss as he stood. "I'll look into the striga and see if I can discover how to cure her."

"Geralt..." Robin protested.

He took her shoulders in his hands and looked down at her tenderly. "What did I tell you before? This is far too dangerous for you. Stay safe, and I'll return to you when I'm finished."

"Do you promise?" she whispered.

"Of course."

She wrapped her arms around his neck and pushed up onto her tiptoes, kissing him fiercely. He held her tightly as he kissed her back.

Triss watched as Robin reluctantly separated from Geralt. The sorceress was anxious about leaving the witcher to his own devices.

"I gave you my word, did I not?" Geralt assured her. "I'm the only one who can help you. No matter what, it's going to come to a fight with the striga."

"Very well. I'll do as you say. I suppose if you betray me, I'll know soon enough."

"Yes, you will."

With that, Geralt turned and walked towards the abandoned castle.

Robin gazed after him until he disappeared from view, then turned to Triss. "We should go," she murmured.

Triss fell into step beside her. "What's between you and the witcher?" she wondered.

"Is that relevant to my training?" Robin replied lightly.

Triss laughed in spite of herself. "No. I'm merely curious."

"We travel together because we have similar goals," Robin revealed. "That naturally turned into a physical relationship. But that's all it is."

"Hm," Triss hummed noncommittally.

Robin shook her head. "Don't start sounding like my brother, please," she insisted.

"All right, I won't," Triss acquiesced.

"He'll keep his promise," Robin told Triss. "He's not like other witchers I've read about. He has his own code for deciding who is and isn't a monster."