Chapter Forty-Two

Vizima, 1243

Several days later, Geralt was almost entirely healed. Triss was clearly impressed, but luckily seemed to think the pace could be attributed solely to Geralt's witcher nature. Or, if she suspected more, she at least didn't say anything.

Though she didn't want to load Robin down with more than she could realistically carry, Triss did give her several books and some of her own notes so she could continue her studies on the road. She also gifted the younger mage with an amulet that would allow them to communicate across long distances with very little magical effort.

"Thank you, Triss," Robin told her once again as Geralt and Jaskier readied their horses. "For everything."

"Of course, my dear. I will keep my eyes and ears open for information, and potential allies to your cause. Be careful during your travels."

Robin glanced at Geralt and smiled. "I'll be protected very well," she assured the other woman.

"I'm sure you will be," Triss agreed. "I'll contact you whenever I can, especially if I have news. Contact me whenever you have questions."

"I will."

Robin beamed at Geralt as he came over to her and rested his hand gently on the small of her back. Though he didn't normally have much color to his skin, what little he did have had returned. His hair was pulled into a loose ponytail at the nape of his neck.

She reached up and tucked a loose strand of long white hair behind his ear. "We're ready whenever you are," he offered.

She laughed. "I know you're itching to leave," she chided him. "So let's go."

He smirked at her, but didn't say a word, instead offering her his arm. She took it and let him lead her to Roach, indulging him and letting him grasp her around the waist to lift her onto the mare.

He swung up behind her and pulled her close. She leaned back against him happily.

"I'd like to be out of Temeria before nightfall," he announced. "We'll ride for most of the day."

"Hooray," Jaskier muttered sarcastically.

Though he had no desire to stay in Vizima permanently, he had done well there, with both making a living as a bard and his romantic liaisons. Two lovely maids and one footman had been very disappointed to hear of his imminent departure.

"Alas," he continued, "this is the life of a musician. Let's be on our way."

Geralt and Robin both chuckled, then Geralt flicked Roach's reins and they were on their way.

****

By the time night fell, they were outside Temeria, just as Geralt wanted. They stopped to make camp and Jaskier conveniently disappeared, leaving his sister and her witcher alone for the first time in days.

They were stretched out on a blanket, gazing up at the emerging stars. Robin breathed deeply, her cleavage straining against the neckline of her dress. Geralt's eyes watched her breasts hungrily.

"You know," he murmured, turning onto his side and beginning to unlace her, "it disturbs me how well your brother seems to know exactly what we need and want at all times."

Robin laughed lightly. "That's Jaskier," she explained fondly. "He's very perceptive, especially when it's about people he cares for."

As he started to tug her bodice down to bare her breasts, she grabbed his hand, stopping him. He raised his eyebrows as she turned her head to look at him.