Chapter Seven

Aldersberg, 1239

They awoke the next morning to rain. After swiftly dismantling the camp and packing their things, they mounted Roach and began to ride through the pass.

The rain continued throughout the day. Robin shivered so hard her teeth chattered, but she never complained. Even if she had wanted to, Geralt didn't control the rain. She could hardly hold him accountable for that.

He stopped when he noticed and wrapped his cloak around her. She tried to protest, but she was so cold she could barely speak. He pulled her more firmly against his chest to try to shelter her as they rode the rest of the way.

When they arrived at Aldersberg, he stopped. She looked at him curiously as he helped her down from Roach. Her limbs were so stiff that she wouldn't have been able to get off by herself.

"I need to go to the market and pick up supplies," he explained, tying Roach to the hitching rail outside the tavern. "And you need to warm up, or you're likely to freeze to death."

She could hardly argue as he led her inside. Though a few people gave him wary glances as he approached the barman, no one protested. Geralt handed the man a few coins and asked him to keep his companion in hot cider and stew until he returned, at which point he would have some as well.

He steered her to a table in the corner by the fire and sat her down. "I'll be back," he murmured. "Drink. Eat. Don't leave, and don't say anything to anyone."

She nodded. He left her his cloak and she curled up in the chair, grateful for the searing heat next to her.

The barman brought the items Geralt had requested over. She thanked him, drinking most of the cider first, then slowly eating. She breathed deeply, relaxing as her limbs thawed. The barman came to refill her cider and she thanked him again.

She thought about taking out the bestiary and beginning to study it, but she wasn't sure it was a good idea in a crowded tavern. So she waited, and by the time she'd finished her second cup of cider and her first bowl of stew, Geralt joined her.

More food was delivered to the table. He nodded and handed the barman a few more coins, setting multiple packages on the table. Robin raised her eyebrow at all of them, wondering what they could possibly be.

"Had a lot of shopping to do, did you?"

"Open them," he offered, digging into his stew. "They're for you."

"For me?"

She hadn't asked for anything, or given him any money.

Geralt nodded. "You can't keep traveling like that," he pointed out.

She could hardly argue. She took the first package off the top of the pile and opened it. It was large, but not particularly heavy, and there were several items of clothing inside.

There were two thick overskirts and bodices, all dark green, and an assortment of appropriate undergarments. She blushed a bit and shoved those under everything else, making him grin.

The next equally large package contained a beautiful dark green riding cloak with a fur-lined hood. It was the most luxurious item she'd ever owned, until she opened another, which revealed a pair of black leather riding boots and matching riding gloves, both decorated with silver embroidery.

The last package was small and contained a dagger. Geralt nodded at the bodices. "It will fit on the inside, so you can have it close at all times."

She nodded, a little taken aback. She had no idea how to respond to all of this. Finally, she settled on, "You should let me pay you back. These are..."

He interrupted her. "That's not necessary. They're just things."

"Beautiful things, Geralt," she countered. "These are the nicest things I've ever had."

He shrugged. "It was just what they had in the market."

She narrowed her eyes briefly. She wasn't quite sure she believed that. He must have guessed that she'd never had nice things from her story, and that might have influenced his choices, whether he'd realized it or not.

But she decided not to try to talk to him about it. Instead, she just thanked him again. When the barman returned, Geralt asked for beer instead of cider and then asked if there was a room she could change in.

"We're not staying," he told her as she stood and the barman prepared to lead her to a small storeroom. "Make sure you're ready."

"Of course."

Once she was left alone, she put on her new clothes. They fit perfectly, and they were much warmer and hardier. She neatly folded the extras and put them in her rucksack along with her old clothes. She could use them in a pinch, or for bandages. She didn't think it was smart to throw anything away.

She returned to him, the cloak and gloves in hand. She wouldn't put them on until they were ready to leave. He looked her over and nodded. "Everything fit all right?" he inquired.

"Perfectly, thank you," she responded.

He gestured to the table. "Do you need more to eat?"

She shook her head. She grabbed her mug and continued sipping her cider, though, letting him eat a bit more before she asked, "Where are we going in such a hurry?"

"Lyria. The merchant who sold me the clothes said they're having problems with a kikimora there. There could be some work in it for me."

"What happens if no one is specifically paying you to kill a monster?"

"I'll salvage what I can. A lot of mages will buy blood and various body parts."

"Glamorous," she joked, smiling so he'd know she was teasing.

"If glamorous is what you're looking for, the life of a witcher is not for you," he joked back.

"I didn't think so," she assured him. "What are we going to do about...?"

She trailed off, not wanting to say too much in public, especially since he'd cautioned her earlier.

"I think we need to be careful," Geralt responded slowly, making something up since he hadn't given the matter even a moment of thought. "We don't know who might be involved. I think we need to gather information, see what we can discover. We don't want to tip our hand too early and let Yennefer know she has an enemy."

"I think that makes sense," she agreed. "I need to start studying more too. There's plenty Melcedem didn't teach me."

"A sound plan," Geralt acknowledged her, finishing his stew and beer. "Are you ready to go?"

"I am. Thank you again. For all of the gifts and the food."

"You're welcome," he said, standing. "But you don't have to thank me for every little thing."

She pressed her lips together and nodded, making him laugh. He reached over as she put on her cloak, helping her straighten it and pull the hood up.

They didn't speak again as they left the tavern, but it wasn't uncomfortable. Geralt strapped her rucksack to Roach and she noticed that he'd purchased food supplies as well.

"We'll be set for a few days," he revealed. "We'll restock in Lyria."

She nodded and mounted. He still had to help her a bit, but not as much as the first time. He swung up behind her and grabbed the reins. "You're getting better at that," he observed.

"I'm trying," she admitted.

He nodded and steered Roach away from the tavern, out of the city, and back to the road. She leaned against him contentedly and settled in for another long ride.