Chapter Eighteen

Outside Guleta, 1240

"The Countess de Stael?" Robin asked in disbelief as Jaskier rode his new horse in a circle around their camp, breaking in her shoes. "Jaskier, she's older than our mother."

"Only by a few years," he protested. "She taught me everything I know about lovemaking."

"Gross, Jas."

Robin wrinkled her nose as he turned the horse again. "Oh, please. We're traveling with your witcher lover. As if I haven't overheard things. He's teaching you everything he knows about lovemaking too."

"It's not lovemaking, Jas."

No matter what she did, she couldn't dissuade him from saying Geralt was her lover. But lovemaking was going much too far.

"Well, whatever it is, it's loud," he informed her.

"What you did with the stableman's daughter in Guleta was also loud," Geralt observed. "What would your countess think about that?"

"She wants me to broaden my horizons," Jaskier revealed. "So I am even better when I return to her."

Robin shuddered and changed the subject. "What are you going to name your horse, Jas?"

"What's your horse's name again, Geralt? Roach? Why did you name her after an insect?"

"I didn't," Geralt said defensively. "I named her after a fish."

"A fish?" Jaskier mused. "Well, that's not very majestic. I think I want something heroic. What are some heroic names? Help me brainstorm, you two."

Robin giggled. The insect comment had given her an idea.

"You should call her Cricket, Jas," she told him.

"Cricket?"

Jaskier's brow furrowed as Geralt started to laugh loudly.

"What is so funny?" Jaskier demanded. "Why Cricket?"

Robin's laughter grew as she realized that Geralt couldn't contain himself.

Finally, the witcher wiped his eyes and glanced at the bard. "Cricket," he repeated. "Because you're always chirping."

Jaskier wrinkled his nose, looking exactly like his sister had moments earlier. That sent Geralt into another fit of laughter.

For several kind moments, there was nothing but gaiety in their camp, even though Jaskier wasn't exactly pleased to be the butt of the joke.