Chapter Thirty-Two

Hengfors, 1242

"Dinner is served," Jaskier announced, gesturing at the spread on the table.

There had only been one room available at the inn, so they were all sharing. Geralt heaved himself out of the tub at Jaskier's announcement, wrapping a towel around his waist before he sat down in a chair.

After a moment, he realized that Robin wasn't joining them. He glanced back over his shoulder and noticed that she was still bent over the bestiary, just like she had been all day.

"Little mage," he implored her, "take your nose out of that book and join us. You need to eat."

"Geralt is right," Jaskier agreed, grabbing her by the shoulders and pulling her to her feet, steering her back to the table.

Robin looked at them both in a daze. "Sorry," she apologized. "I was reading."

Geralt chuckled. "We know. What have you found?"

While he didn't believe Yennefer's plot would amount to anything in the end, Geralt was curious about what was in the book. He had never seen a copy before, which was unusual, considering its content. Robin had been trying to discover its provenance, but so far she had had no luck.

She was having a hard time reading it as well. It was cobbled together from a variety of sources, it seemed. It contained multiple languages, many of them long dead, as well as several script styles, not to mention illustrations that weren't always easy to decipher.

Geralt had been helping her when he could. Robin could read most languages. She spoke a few less, but she was a quick learner. Geralt, by virtue of his profession and longevity, knew more than she did, and every so often, he could fill in the blanks.

She shrugged. "So far, nothing I didn't already know. But there has to be something. Melcedem kept the book a secret, and Yennefer wanted it. There's a clue in there somewhere. I just have to find it."

She sighed and grabbed an olive. "It's such a long and tedious process. I know I have to do it right, but I want to know what's so important about it."

"You'll figure it out, sister," Jaskier assured her. "You have plenty of time, don't you? This Yennefer person doesn't seem to have done anything just yet."

"No," Robin agreed, still looking put out about the whole situation.

"He's right," Geralt assured her. "You'll get there."

He reached out and smoothed some of her hair back behind her ear, smiling at her. Jaskier echoed the smile.

Robin finally smiled back and leaned her head against Geralt's shoulder. "I will," she agreed firmly.

"Good girl," Geralt told her, kissing her forehead. "Now eat and relax. You can tackle it again tomorrow while I hunt."

She nodded, reaching for some of the roasted duck, which was one of her favorite dishes, and a rare treat in an inn like this.

It had been a productive day. She had gotten a lot done. But there was still so much more to go, and she was eager for a revelation.

She had to stop Yennefer, no matter how long it took. So much hung in the balance.

Particularly the life of the witcher sitting beside her.

She still wanted to prevent the spell from being cast for the greater good, but after the last few years, her motives were decidedly more personal.

She kept telling herself that it made sense. She hadn't known someone who would be affected by the spell before. It was natural that she was concerned for Geralt now that she knew him so well.

It wasn't deeper, despite what her brother said. It couldn't be. Geralt didn't have those sorts of relationships.

They were content for now, and that was what mattered.