Chapter Seventy-One

Temple of Melitele, 1261

Several days later, Geralt was reading in the library while Robin worked with Nenneke.

They were waiting to depart until Jaskier joined them. He could have arrived by now, but he'd stopped at an inn and encountered the Countess de Stael, upon which they'd renewed their previously ended acquaintance. Thankfully, Robin's ability to communicate telepathically meant that she didn't have to worry about the delay.

About an hour later, Jaskier unexpectedly joined him, sitting and unceremoniously putting his feet up on the long table.

"You finally arrived," Geralt observed nonchalantly. "You'd better put your feet on the floor, or Nenneke will have your head."

Jaskier rolled his eyes, but he did what Geralt said. "I think she wants it already, but better not to take chances, I suppose," he admitted.

Geralt sighed and looked up from his book. "What could you have possibly done already, Jaskier? You just got here."

"Well, I was criticized for writing bawdy ballads, reveling in my fame, and constantly showing up drunk at temples," Jaskier hummed. "Apparently my reputation precedes me."

Geralt chuckled.

"You know, that priestess had the gall to suggest that we're not compatible," the bard revealed. "She said I'm of an entirely different temperament than you and Robin."

"Sometimes opposites attract," Geralt teased. "But stop trying to distract me. What else did you do?"

"I may have flirted with a very pretty blonde with long lashes and the cutest little bottom I've ever seen at the front gate."

Geralt raised his eyebrows. He had his own opinion on shapely bottoms, but he hardly expected Jaskier to share it for obvious reasons.

"Every woman here is a priestess, Jaskier," he reminded him. "Keep it in your pants."

"Are you going to?"

"Robin's not a priestess, Jaskier," Geralt pointed out. "And yes. She has me on a very short leash at the moment."

"I do love it when she puts her foot down with you," the bard admitted. "You cave so quickly. I've never seen you so eager to please."

He studied the witcher critically for a moment. "You look well enough to me."

"I'm fine now, but Robin wants to be sure."

"Of course she does. What are you reading?"

Geralt swallowed, then sighed and answered, "I'm reading about the Law of Surprise."

"Trying to find a way out of it, I suppose."

"Just collecting information, really. Reading accounts."

"Fretting isn't good for you in your state," Jaskier decided, letting it slide for the moment. "I think we should drink instead."

"I better not. Your sister would have my head."

"And then all that healing would be for naught, eh? Speaking of Robin, I should probably go say hello," Jaskier decided. "Will you join me?"

"Not at the moment, no," Geralt declined. "I'd like to finish my reading."

"I hope you find what you're looking for," Jaskier offered.

"Thank you, Jaskier."

The bard slipped out, leaving the witcher to his business.

****

They stayed the night at the temple, but prepared to leave the next morning. Despite Robin's caution, she knew that Geralt was well again, and they'd taken advantage of Nenneke's hospitality long enough.

Jaskier was currently staring down at the priestess from Cricket's back, his flirtiest smile on his face. "Thank you for letting us visit, Nenneke," he drawled, batting his eyes at her. "Don't be angry with me. I know that, deep down, you like me."

"Indeed I do, you dolt," Nenneke agreed, "though I don't know why. Take care."

"It's my natural charm," Jaskier informed her cheekily, making her roll her eyes.

She turned to Geralt and Robin. "Look after yourselves," she insisted.

Geralt smiled. His fingers were stroking the small of Robin's back, and he kept leaning around her to tenderly kiss her cheek. "We will, Nenneke. And thank you for replenishing all of my elixirs. The ingredients are hard to come by."

The priestess nodded, then reached up to grab Robin's hand.

The mage inhaled sharply as Nenneke shared a vision.

She was in a cave with Geralt, a dragon, and... Yennefer. Geralt's lips were pressed to Robin's.

The vision flickered and shifted. Now the two of them were standing on the edge of a mountain. There were tears running down her cheeks, and he looked heartbroken.

Nenneke let go and the vision ended.

Robin looked to her for guidance, but Nenneke simply shrugged. "All I can tell you is that it will determine your final path in this world. I hope it ends up being what you want."

"You can't see if it is?" Robin asked desperately, unable to help herself.

Nenneke shook her head, but gave Robin a knowing look. "I shouldn't have to tell you what you already know," she countered cryptically.

With that, she turned and walked serenely back into the temple.

"What did she show you, little mage?" Geralt wondered softly.

She shook her head. "When it means something, I'll tell you," she promised.

They rode out of the gates in silence. Geralt could feel the tension in Robin's body. Whatever she'd seen had bothered her, though he believed that she was telling the truth and couldn't have possibly explained what it meant yet.

So he wasn't going to push her. He'd know sooner or later, he was sure, whether she told him or they lived it.

Whatever it was, he just hoped that it wasn't the end of everything that was dear to him.