Chapter Thirty-Three

Aedd Gynvael, 1242

Geralt entered the inn with Jaskier at his side. Robin was still in the market, and he was twitchy. He didn't like leaving her, but he'd begun to draw attention and some of the vendors had started upping their prices simply because she'd been seen with a witcher, so she'd shooed him away to get a room with her brother.

Geralt was very protective of her. It was one thing when he left her behind because it was safer for her. But leaving her behind like that, when he could have stayed, definitely didn't sit well with him.

Jaskier sniffed beside him. "You smell nice, you know that?"

"What?" Geralt growled, scanning the inn for any potential trouble.

"You smell nice. I wager you take far more baths now thanks to my sister."

It was true, but hardly relevant, so Geralt ignored the comment. Jaskier hailed the innkeeper, who came over to them, already grumbling.

"Bad enough to have a witcher in town," he spat. "But one that comes with a bard lover? Just our luck."

Geralt's eyes widened and he blinked. Before he could fix the mistake, though, Jaskier spoke. "Now, now, my good sir. Be tolerant. I'll bring you excellent business. People from all over want to hear my songs. Besides, we can pay. We'd like dinner for three and two rooms if you have them. But one will do if you don't."

"I have two."

The innkeeper looked at them expectantly.

Jaskier nudged Geralt. "Well, dear," he drawled. "Pay him."

Geralt narrowed his eyes at the bard, but reached for the pouch on his belt and gave the man his coin. Jaskier tugged him toward a table to wait for their meal, taking out his lute and tuning it carefully.

"Why didn't you correct him?" Geralt hissed.

Jaskier shrugged and smiled. "Where's the fun in that?" he wondered.

Robin came in not long after. Before she could look around, the innkeeper gruffly asked her what she needed.

"I'm looking for my companions," she answered. "A witcher and..."

"The witcher and his bard lover?" the innkeeper snorted. "Figures. They're over there."

He nodded in their direction and Robin joined them, looking at them both curiously. "So you're lovers, are you?"

She arched an eyebrow as Jaskier grinned. "The innkeeper's assumption."

"And one no one bothered to bring up," Geralt muttered.

The innkeeper chose that moment to approach with their dinner. As he set everything down in front of them, Robin leaned forward and said, "I apologize if my companions make noise tonight in their room, sir. They can be quite rowdy when they get into it."

The innkeeper huffed and hurried away, looking thoroughly scandalized.

Jaskier laughed loudly. "Your sense of humor's improved, big sister," he complimented her. "You used to be so grave, even when we were young."

Geralt stared at her petulantly.

"What?" she teased him. "Am I not allowed to have a little fun?"

"I would never be with your brother," Geralt informed her. "Not because he's a man, but because he's insufferable."

She giggled, leaning against Jaskier as she started to eat. "Aw," she cooed. "My poor witcher. I'll make it up to you later."

He leaned back in his chair and continued pouting. Jaskier shook his head. "It's too easy to get to you, Geralt," he observed. "You're like the big brother I never had and I love you. Completely platonically, of course."

"Besides, think of it like this. If everyone here thinks Jas is with you, he probably won't make an ill-advised liaison we have to run away from in the morning," Robin pointed out.

"Hm," Jaskier mused. "I hadn't thought of that."

Geralt finally smirked. "Payback for how much you nag us," he decided.

"It's just so much fun," Jaskier admitted, shrugging and tearing a drumstick off of their chicken.

They ate their way through what the innkeeper had brought and more later. Jaskier and Robin laughed the entire time, and eventually, even Geralt joined in.

If nothing else, Jaskier would have excellent material for a song about his and Geralt's new relationship.