Chapter Fifty-Three

Spalla, 1250

"Are you ready?" Jaskier wheedled Geralt.

The witcher grunted. He'd been grumpy ever since the news of his Child of Surprise's birth had arrived. According to everyone who believed in the consequences of the Law of Surprise, he should have waited in Cintra until she was born and then claimed her immediately. But, since he hadn't done that, now the onus was on him to go back and do so now.

He had no intention of following through, of course. Though several witchers had been made from Children of Surprise, Geralt wouldn't have condemned a child to that, even if it was still possible. He took some solace in the fact that Robin completely agreed with him, both about his actions regarding the child and thinking that all of the discussion surrounding the Law of Surprise was simply myth.

Jaskier wasn't as convinced, but he'd stopped bringing it up, since it earned him surly glares from not only the witcher, but also his sister.

He was more forgiving of her, especially after she'd told him what had happened with the fire the night of the ball. He had also divined what she hadn't told him, which was that she would sacrifice herself for Geralt if it became necessary.

He understood. He didn't agree, but he understood. He wasn't offended, either. Oddly enough, it made him feel stronger to know that she was confident that he could survive without her. And he knew it wasn't that she wanted to leave him behind. It was that part of her felt guilty, like she was keeping him from living his life by wanting him to tag along with her and Geralt.

Deep down, he was sure she understood that it was his choice. He liked traveling with her and Geralt. Perhaps one day he would veer off on his own course, but for now, he was content.

Despite the sometimes downright prickly demeanor of his male companion.

"Could you possibly get a little more excited than that?" Jaskier criticized. "This is your woman, after all."

Geralt rolled his eyes at the declaration and Jaskier raised his eyebrows pointedly. They rarely had this argument verbally anymore. Their faces were effective enough.

"All right, then. Fine. Whatever," he huffed. "Robin, just come out."

She laughed as she emerged from behind the folding screen Jaskier had put in their room. "I don't why you were making a production out of it anyway, Jas," she admitted.

"Because it's the first time you've changed your look in a decade, obviously," Jaskier explained. "I think it deserves a little fanfare."

Robin had recently decided that dressing as a proper noblewoman, which was the only way she'd ever known how to dress, was rather inconvenient for the life she lived, so she'd asked Jaskier to help her design some new clothes. He'd been more than happy to help, and now she was finally able to show off the results of their endeavor.

Despite the fact that he hadn't been excited at all, Geralt sat up straighter when Robin stepped out from behind the screen, though neither of the siblings noticed immediately since they were talking to each other.

He tilted his head to the side and studied her appreciatively while they were distracted.

She was wearing tight black leggings that hugged her shape alluringly. Her black leather boots buckled once at her ankles and twice where they stopped just below her knees, while another decorative buckle extended from the top of her foot back to her short heel. She'd easily be able to run or maneuver in multiple types of terrain, and he appreciated the practical choice.

Her top was a little more stylish. It was still a corseted bodice, but it extended up to cover her shoulders. A black leather collar held it in place, with another strap and buckle several inches below that providing extra support. The fabric had a silver scrollwork pattern, and she had a black leather double belt looped around the slightly cinched waist that had two pouches hanging from it.

Underneath the corset was a tight, black, high-necked top that stopped at the base of the second strap so her cleavage was still exposed. It had long sleeves that slipped over her thumbs like gloves so they wouldn't ride up.

Jasker had finally noticed Geralt looking, and he took advantage. "Spin," he ordered his sister.

She laughed, but obeyed, allowing Geralt to notice the hood sewn onto the back of the corset. He grunted slightly as he eyed her ass in the tight leggings and spread his legs a little wider.

Jaskier smirked and handed Geralt something. "This goes around her thigh," he explained slyly. "Why don't you put it on her?"

Geralt smirked back and took it, then beckoned her forward as she turned around again. She giggled as he tightened the straps around her thigh and secured the third pouch there.

"Well, Geralt?" Jaskier prompted him. "Do you like it?"

Geralt leaned back in his chair and shrugged. "I don't know. Seems light on weapons to me."

"I'm never unarmed," Robin teased, waving her fingers, the tips flaring briefly with fire, "but just so you're satisfied..."

She pulled the dagger he'd given her when they'd first met out of its sheath in her bodice and he smiled. His smile widened as she bent and showed him that she had one in each boot too.

"The pouches are for money, herbs, and a few potions we use often on the road."

She pointed to each pouch as she talked about it. Geralt watched her fondly as she kept rambling on about the reasons behind the design, then finally stood up, took her in his arms, and silenced her with a kiss.

"Oh," she breathed, putting her arms around his neck and kissing him back.

"You don't need to justify anything to me, little mage," he reminded her. "You can wear whatever you'd like. And no matter what it is, you'll look beautiful in it. Just like you look beautiful in this."

He curled a tendril of her hair around his finger. "I'm glad you didn't change your hair, though," he admitted. "I like the intricate braids."

She shrugged. "I like it long, but out of the way."

He nodded. "I know."

Her eyes shone as she leaned in to kiss him again.

Jaskier watched them both, shaking his head affectionately. Robin had done an incredible job dealing with what she assumed was Geralt's unrequited love for her, he thought. Geralt hadn't realized it yet, somehow, but it was obvious to anyone who looked that he loved Robin too.

Jaskier knew the two of them would be so much happier if they would just admit their feelings and be together. He wanted that for them. Especially for Robin.

He wanted her to have someone when he was gone. She was going to live so much longer than him, after all.

Right then, he made himself a promise. He wasn't going to leave the two of them until they had been entirely honest with each other.

He sighed and leaned against the wall as Geralt and Robin continued to kiss.

As close as they were, he somehow knew he was going to be waiting for a long while.