Chapter Eighty

Cintra, 1263

Geralt, Robin, and Jaskier stood at the edge of the cliff and watched the army marching through the valley.

"You made sure they can't see us, right?" Jaskier asked nervously.

Robin nodded. "They can't," she confirmed.

"It's Nilfgaard," Geralt observed. "And they're heading to Cintra."

"Yes," Robin agreed. "Which means Princess Cirilla's in danger."

Jaskier swallowed and sat up in his saddle. "Well, then let's go get her," he said bravely, though he had a sinking feeling that nothing good was about to happen.

****

Only hours later, the three of them waited for Mousesack beneath the castle. Robin sensed his approach and turned her head just before he came through a door at the end of the hallway and greeted them.

"Out of nowhere, you send word to meet you," he began. "All this time, I thought you were dead."

"I told you last time I was in Cintra that I wasn't coming back," Geralt reminded him.

"Yet here you are."

Geralt nodded. "I was almost dead a few times," he admitted. "And I'm married now. You remember Robin and her brother."

Robin was tense. She was still waiting for word about the Brotherhood from Triss, and their situation was becoming more precarious by the minute. But she nodded at Mousesack and smiled slightly.

"Congratulations," he said to her. "Or should I say good luck? You'll need it if you're married to a witcher, especially this one."

"Indeed," she acknowledged, saying nothing more.

"Is that why you've come for your Child of Surprise?" Mousesack wondered. "A daughter to make the happy family complete?"

"We had business in the area," Robin explained. "We want you to tell us that she's safe and healthy so we can be on our way."

Geralt nodded.

"Princess Cirilla has been raised by Calanthe since her parents died," Mousesack revealed. "Pavetta and Duny's ship was lost at sea."

"We know," Geralt informed him. "That's why we don't want to interfere unless it's necessary."

"Necessary?" Mousesack echoed. "Do you think she's not safe?"

"We saw an army making camp at the Amell Pass," Robin pointed out. "Surely you're aware of them by now? It's Nilfgaard."

"They're set on sweeping the Continent," Mousesack confirmed. "But since that night at Pavetta's banquet, the Queen's done everything she can to keep her family safe from threats. Shut the walls. Fortified the gates."

"Walls and gates aren't going to be enough eventually," Robin protested.

She was cut off from saying more when Jaskier grabbed her arm. He'd been silent behind her the entire time, keeping his head on a swivel, looking out for anything suspicious. Now footsteps were filling the tunnels around them.

"Go," Geralt ordered her. "She's sent assassins. You know the plan."

"What?" Mousesack protested disbelievingly. "No! There aren't any assassins."

Robin pulled Geralt close and kissed him briefly. "I love you."

He nodded. "I love you too."

She took Jaskier by the arm. As soon as she did, they both disappeared, safely cloaked by one of her spells.