Chapter Eighty-Five

Cintra, 1263

Robin wasn't sure how long it had been when she finally stirred. It was becoming a trend she wasn't a fan of.

The battlefield was eerily quiet.

"Yennefer?" she asked, even though she barely had the energy to make her voice carry.

There was no answer.

She briefly pushed into Chaos, looking for Yennefer or Triss. But she found nothing.

Not just an absence of the two women, but nothing at all. She couldn't see anything or anyone. She could still sense Chaos flowing through her, but she seemed to be cut off from actually traversing it.

She didn't have time to think about why. For the moment, she'd chalk it up to exhaustion. Regardless, she had no way of knowing if either woman was alive, and she didn't have the time to look, especially since the Nilfgaardians were still combing the area around her.

She had no choice but to portal out. She wasn't very good at portals at the best of times, and she certainly wasn't at her best, but she'd be caught if she did anything else.

She thought of her family next. Of Geralt and Jaskier and Cirilla. She focused on them as hard as she could, then used the last of her strength to summon a portal.

As she stepped through it, she hoped it would take her somewhere safe.

She stumbled as she stepped out onto a road she didn't recognize. Two horses raced past her. A woman was on one, and she screamed for help as she rode by because there were bandits riding behind her.

Robin swept her hand and they all fell off of their horses. The animals scattered and Robin pulled out her dagger. By the time the woman stopped and turned around, they were all dead, stabbed quickly and efficiently through the heart.

The woman offered Robin a ride into the town she was about to visit. Robin agreed and mounted the second horse, then accepted the Law of Surprise as payment when the woman offered it.

When they arrived and she'd tied the horses up, the woman told Robin to rest. Unable to do anything else, Robin curled up in a corner of the stables and fell into a deep sleep.

She woke again when she heard the woman's voice. "Are you feeling any better? I have your payment."

Robin blinked rapidly and sat up, then stared at the two people standing in front of her.

"Jaskier?" she finally croaked.

He fell to his knees and hugged her. "I am so glad to see you, sister," he murmured, squeezing her tightly. "I thought you were dead."

"I thought the same of you," she admitted.

"I found her," he said proudly. "Princess Cirilla. She prefers Ciri, though. This is her."

Robin smiled at the girl, who had hair so blonde it was almost white. "Hello, Ciri. It's very good to meet you. I'm Robin, Geralt's wife."

Ciri nodded. "Jaskier explained who you are. But... where's Geralt?"

Tears filled Robin's eyes. "I don't know. He went looking for the two of you."

"We'll find him," Jaskier assured her. "He's always fine, remember? He'll be fine this time too."

He helped her up, then led her to Cricket. She climbed up into the saddle and Ciri got on in front of her. Jaskier took the reins to lead him.

"What happened to your hair?" he wondered.

Robin laughed. "It's a long story. What happened to your other horse?" she asked the woman. "I thought you had two."

"That's also a long story," she replied.