Chapter 22

Author's note: This chapter has descriptions of blood and injury. Reader discretion is advised.

P.S. Bear with me, this chapter is mainly plot build up.

Nonetheless, enjoy!

——

"Are you sure you're going to be alright going back home?" Amity asked with a worried look on her face as Emira and Edric packed their bags in the early morning. "I... I still don't think its a good idea..."

"I know its scary, Mittens," Emira sighed as she sat down on the bed where Amity sat, "but we have to."

"We can't risk Mom and Dad becoming suspicious. We've already been away for awhile now and they are expecting us to be home this morning before breakfast," Edric frowned. "Plus, I'm afraid at some point they will stop believing we're staying with friends to study."

"Yeah," Emira nodded in agreement, "so its better that we head back for a bit. We have to at least pretend nothing is out of the ordinary until Lily gets this whole custody thing sorted out."

"But don't worry, Mittens," Edric spoke softly as he crouched down, taking Amity's hand before looking up at her. "I promise you we'll be careful, okay?"

"Okay..." Amity sighed as she squeezed her brother's hand before laying her head on her sister's shoulder. "Maybe I should to talk to Lilith about all of this today... I don't want to be a bother but I'm curious how much longer all of this will take. I don't want you two to have to stay with THEM much longer."

"Thats not a bad idea, Mittens," Emira hummed, leaning over to placing a kiss on the younger Blight's forehead before standing up to resume packing. "At the very least, finding out will give us a realistic idea how how much longer we'll have to remain with Mom and Dad..."

"We've got to think of something else to call them," Edric grimaced as his eyes met Emira's.

"We really do," Emira chuckled. "Hm... Thing 1 and Thing 2? Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb? Karen and Chad?" Emira fired off as she scratched her chin.

"Really, Em?" Amity grinned, chuckling at her sister's antics.

"Eh, we'll work on it," Emira shrugged before ruffling Amity's hair, "but for now, we need to head out." Ushering to Edric, Emira grabbed her bag before meeting Amity's sad eyes once more. "Everything is going to be okay, alright? We just have to hold on a little longer."

"Alright, Em," Amity sighed. "But can you two at least text me later to let me know how things are going?"

"Of course we can," Edric smiled as he leaned in to hug the youngest Blight.

"Thank," Amity murmured, "for everything."

"You got it, kiddo," Emira winked as her and Edric turned to exit the room. Quietly making their way down stairs so as not to wake anyone up, the twins exchanged worried glances wondering what awaited them at home. It had been awhile since they had seen their parents, their last encounter being the day the elder Blights had finally let Emira return to school after breaking her wrist. Nervously clutching her cast with her good hand, Emira breathed a quiet, heavy sigh, "It's going to be alright, right, Ed?"

"I sure hope so..." Edric whispered as the pair turned to make their way into the front room.

"Is there a problem, children?" a solemn voice said from across the room, causing the twins to jump in surprise.

"Oh Lily," Emira huffed, clutching her chest. "Everything is okay! You just caught us a little off guard there is all."

"I see," Lilith said flatly. "Going somewhere?" the blue haired witch asked as she stared at the twins, eyeing the bag each carried.