Chapter 1

"It hurts. It really, really hurts", Luz groaned, clutching her leg, as she fought back tears of embarrassment and frustration as a wave of pain washed across her body. It was her fifth grudgby game since joining the team and the first game she had worked up the courage to ask Amity to attend. She had been a natural at the game, quickly becoming one of the team's best players since learning the sport only a few months prior. Her reputation as a great player soon spreading throughout Hexside, earning her a new found respect and admiration from her peers that was previously unfamiliar to her. It wasn't that Luz didn't have friends, in fact, she had found a great friendship in two young witches, Willow and Gus, that she was extremely grateful for. However, being the only human in attendance, Luz struggled to fit in among the rest of her peers and thus sought friendship and belonging among her team and was happy to find that even beyond the bonds she created with teammates, her skill on the grudgby field had more people willing to give her a chance to belong.

There was one person in particular however, that Luz cared to get to know above all else - Amity Blight. A popular witch, befriending Amity always seemed out of Luz's reach. Prior to joining the grudgby team, Luz was the furthest thing from popular, her outcast status creating distance between her and the girl she longed to know. Still, she felt compelled to try, though even her best efforts thus far had all resulted in unfavorable results. Having achieved the stardom that comes with in school athletics, however, Luz thought maybe now she would have a chance. Wanting nothing more than to impress her crush with her athletic prowess, Luz thought that perhaps inviting Amity to one of her games would be the perfect way to peak her attention. There was something about Amity that drew Luz to her after all; something that made her want to try. Maybe it was her drive, or her grasp on magic, or her beautiful golden eyes... wait, what?

"Luz!," Eda, her mentor and guardian since arriving at the Boiling Isles, yelled as
she ran onto the field alongside a frantic Principal Bump and school medic.

"Hey Eda," Luz stammered, chocking back a lump in her throat as she fought the tears filling her eyes, "I'm okay. I think I just sprained my ankle..."

"I hate to break it to you kid, but from what we all just saw, what you have there is a lot worse than a sprain," Eda remarked, recounting the tackle that sent Luz spiraling to the ground and her left leg twisted unnaturally.

"Oh geez," Luz groaned, wincing in pain as the school medic splinted her leg before two additional medics arrived with a stretcher.

"These folks here will accompany you and Ms. Clawthorn to the healer," Principal Bump spoke, noting the frustration growing on the new student's face. "As it is likely you will be out of school for awhile, will arrange for someone to pass along your course work but for the next few days, please try and get some rest."

Luz gave an understanding nod before closing her eyes as the medics moved the stretcher to take her off the field. The last thing she wanted to see was the faces of her friends, and especially Amity, staring down at her as she was being carried off.

——

It had been several days since the faithful game that left Luz bedridden in a full leg cast. Being stuck at home had proven to be quite the lonely experience, with Eda and their demon companion, King, out at work during the day. With nothing to do, Luz found herself lost in thought, wondering what her friends had been up to and mulling over not being able to attend classes. Since arriving at the Boiling Isles from the human world, Luz wanted nothing more than to learn magic and become a witch much like her fictional hero, Azura. As such, being allowed to attend Hexside to accomplish this goal was nothing short of a dream come true, especially in combination with the mentorship she was receiving from Eda - a powerful witch in her own right. However, for the time being, it seems that was another opportunity she had squandered given her current situation. Lost in thought, Luz was unaware of just how much time had passed before an annoying, yet familiar voice, brought her back to reality as she propped herself up to listen.