Chapter 15

Author's Note: This chapter contains descriptions of bullying and violence. Reader discretion is advised.

——

"Its going to be okay," Luz said as she gave Amity's hand a gentle squeeze as the two stood outside of the doors of Hexside. It had been weeks since the two had attended class, both sidelined by their injuries. Luz was well aware of Amity's reservations in returning back to school, her fear of her parents showing up eclipsing any sort of excitement the young witch may have had regarding being back on campus.

"Yeah, I suppose you're right," Amity sighed as she looked towards Luz, fear in her throat as she attempted to gear herself up to make her way inside. Luz was most likely right, Amity thought to herself. Her parents worked all day after all, the couple having never made time in the past to attend any of her school functions, making it seem unlikely for them to show up now, Amity reasoned. Staring at Luz a moment longer, The green haired witch sighed once more before adjusting the straps of her backpack and softly groaning. "Lets get this over with I suppose."

As the two made their way into the hallways of Hexside, curious glances and quiet whispers met the two as their peers eyes followed them. "What are they staring at," Amity heard the human mumble under her breath, a look of discomfort on her face as the two slowly made their way to their lockers.

"Luz!" a familiar voice shouted from across the way, Amity's eyes glancing across the crowded corridor for the owner.

"Gus!" Luz exclaimed, excitement in her voice present for the first time since the couple had arrived at school.

"You're back!" Gus chided, face beaming with genuine happiness as Luz approached. "We've missed having you around here," Gus declared as he ushered to Willow who had just finished retrieving her books from her locker.

"Hey Luz!" Willow said through a smile as she stepped into Luz's outstretched arm, softly returning the human's embrace. "It sure was quiet around here without you," the blue haired witch chuckled.

"Its good to be back," Luz laughed lightly, her grip returning to her crutches once more.

"Hey Ami," Willow smiled at the green haired witch timidly standing behind the human. "It's good to see you're doing a bit better," Willow remarked noting the lack of bandaging on Amity's hands, a thick pink scar running from the side of her hand towards her palm the only visible indication of the trauma she had suffered.

"Hey, Willow, Gus," Amity smiled softly, "it certainly is good to be feeling a bit better."

"I bet!" Gus smiled. "We were really worried about you," the small boy stated as he motioned his head towards Willow.

"You were worried about me?" Amity questioned, voice draped in slight disbelief. Though she and Willow had recently started talking again, her insecurities remained, the idea of anyone, save Luz, worrying over her well being, especially those she had hurt, seeming farfetched to say the least. It wasn't that the green haired witch was not grateful for the sentiment, the words the younger boy had spoke meaning more to her than she could fully comprehend. Rather, reasoning with the sense of guilt the sentiment unearthed was a battle the Amity was not fully prepared to undertake.

"Of course," Willow spoke softly as her eye's met Amity's, the blue haired witch sensing the discomfort in Amity's tone. "No one deserves that kind of hurt," Willow stated as she shook her head, extending an arm, her hand gently landing on Amity's shoulder as she offered the girl a reassuring squeeze.

Studying Willows face as she took in the girl's words, Amity softly nodded as she placed her hand on top of the blue haired girl's. "Thank you... both of you. That... that means a lot," Amity remarked as she closed her eyes before allowing a small smile to cross her lips, the tranquility of the moment lasting until quiet snickers from across the hall made their way to her ears. Turning to face the laughter's owners, Amity scowled as she made eye contact with a group of upper classmen who turned away in amusement at her offended look.