Chapter 3

"Alright you two, it's time for dinner," Eda said, as she stood in the doorway of Luz's room. Having been filled in by Luz while Amity called her parents, Eda felt sympathetic for the young witch having had a rough childhood herself. It would be no problem to host the girl for the weekend, especially if she kept Luz entertained so Eda could catch up on the sleep she had lost since Luz's injury. Eda had never thought herself to be the maternal type nor had she had any desire to be, but when Luz made her way into her life, Eda couldn't help but warm up to the girl in ways she rarely, if ever, did to any one. A such, Eda could not deny the heart attack she had when she saw Luz injured on the grudgby field. Luz wasn't even her child and yet in that moment, in seeing her sprawled out in pain, Eda knew she would give anything and everything if it meant keeping Luz out of harm's way - though she knew it would be an uphill battle to keep Luz off the grudgby field upon recovery.

"Well I don't know about you kids, but I'm stuffed," the owl lady remarked as she patted her stomach before stretching out in a yawn, "and beat. King, clear off the table will yah? I'm going to bed. You kids try not to get in to too much trouble." Making her leave to her room, Eda playfully ruffled Luz's hair before saying good night.

"So then," Luz turned to Amity, "what would you like to do?"

"Like to do?" Amity thought - that was a good question. Most nights she stayed up studying, sometimes taking a small break to journal. On rare occasions when she was allowed free time, she would sneak away to her secret nook in the library, one she had been so graciously granted after hours access to by the old librarian whom she had helped for years. Thinking back to the sleepovers she had attended over the years, she wracked her brain, trying to think of what her and her friends would do that didn't involve gossip or pining over social media, both of which she found utterly boring. With nothing coming to mind, Amity countered, "I don't know. What would you like to do?"

"Hm... I know! Why don't we draw. I've been thinking of making an Azura comic but haven't got around to it, not that I don't have the time," Luz chuckled.

Heart fluttering at Luz's laugh, Amity felt both confused and happy at how this weekend was turning out despite the feelings of sadness that plagued her earlier. "Yeah, that sounds great!" she said through a smile.

"Awesome! Okay, shall we head back to my room then?" Luz asked, a glimmer of excitement in her eyes.

"Sounds good to me! Here, let me help you," Amity remarked warmly as she stood to grab Luz's crutches. Extending her hand to help the human up, Amity helped Luz gain her balance before passing her off to her crutches. Letting Luz lead, Amity tailed the girl slowly, careful not to hover but staying close enough incase she were to fall. Though it had been a little over two weeks, Luz was still understandably sore. The impact she had suffered was enough to break both bones in her lower leg, in multiple places.

Fixing an injury of that magnitude had been no easy task as the process to reset her bones, Amity had learned, required a surgery that kept her at the healers for two days before a cast could be applied to her leg and she was allowed to go home. Thinking of the pain she had endured and was still enduring, Amity felt protective around Luz, wanting to make sure nothing happened that would cause her leg any further damage; she couldn't bare to see Luz in pain like she did as Luz lay on the field that day, not again. Luz made her feel safe and provided a space where she could be as such, the least she could do, Amity thought, was help her feel the same.

"Oh, right," Luz said, as the pair finally approached her room. "Let me grab you some pajamas." Turning to her dresser, Luz stared at the bottom drawer where the clothes for her friend were kept, hesitating as she tried to settle on a way to retrieve them.

Seeing the hesitation on Luz's face as she stared at the drawer, Amity ushered Luz to the bed. "Here, why don't we get you set up on the bed and you can tell me what to grab from where."