Chapter 25

Author's note: This chapter has descriptions of violence, abuse, blood, and injury. Reader discretion is advised.

P.S. Abuse is and always will be, nobody's fault but the abuser's.

P.P.S. Hopefully this chapter flows okay. I 200% did not read this after writing it and it def is not beta read. Whoops 🤷🏻‍♀️

——

"Oh, Amity," Odalia smirked towering over the younger witch who lay injured on the ground. "To think that you actually thought you could best me; you're even more pathetic than I thought."

"Pathetic?" Amity spat, struggling to her feet as she wiped a trail of blood from her lip, discretely drawing a spell circle as she lowered her hand, "thats rich coming from you."

Frowning as she as she dodged the large abomination arm that Amity had summoned, Odalia's eyes filled with contempt as she glared at the girl in front of her who fought the struggle to move. It had been weeks since she had last seen Amity, the child she had once called her daughter having visibly changed in the time that had passed. Brown roots stained hair once dyed a pristine Blight green - a green the Boiling Isles had come to associate with power, success and status - and no longer did the young witch's face bare the look of exhaustion that came with the countless hours of training deemed necessary to meet the standard of perfection that the Blight legacy demanded. Most notable, however, was the absence of fear in the girl's eyes that the elder witch had come to know as a sign of control and obedience - a sign that the elder had come to see as progress in shaping the child who was not her own into what she wanted her to be.

Absent fear, Odalia scowled as the studied all that had since replaced what she had spent years cultivating in the young girl. Determination raging in the young girl's eyes as she gathered all the strength left in her, Odalia sneered as she summoned a burst of power of her own. "You're a fool, Amity," Odalia spoke flatly as she shot a blast of energy directly at Amity's chest, the girl narrowly dodging the blast as she shot back in retaliation. Deflecting Amity's blast with a wave of her arm, Odalia approached the girl as she spawned multiple copies of herself, the illusions surrounding Amity who in her weakened state countered by summoning two abominations barely larger than the elder Blight.

"Damn it..." Amity muttered to herself, fighting off the copies of her mother that surrounded her, carefully searching for the older witch in the smoke of the illusions that she had snuffed out one by one.

Taking advantage of the distraction her illusions caused, the elder witch quickly positioned herself behind her daughter as she prepared to attack.

Ear twitching as a faint grunt of effort made its way through the air, Amity quickly dodged a blast aimed at the back of her head. "Attacking from behind? Thats low even for you," Amity frowned, sending an abomination hand careening towards her mother. Watching through eyes blurred with exhaustion and pain, the green haired girl smirked as she watched her attack make contact with her abuser before feeling the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end, clearing smoke revealing barren land and no body.

"Nothing is too low if it gets the job done, dear, you should know that" Odalia whispered as she released a blast of energy at the back of Amity's legs, the girl toppling to the ground face first, her ears ringing with her mother's sharp laughter.

"Shit," Amity groaned from the ground, briefly laying there before turning as the shadow of her mother crossed her body.

"Tell me child," Odalia frowned, piercing eyes cutting through Amity with the ease of a hot knife through butter, "was all of this really worth it?"

"All of what?" Amity spat, brows furrowed confidently as she tried to find it in her to rise from the ground once more.

"Leaving, throwing away everything your father and I worked to give you, tarnishing your and our family's reputation for the sake of your sad excuse for a relationship with the human," Odalia scoffed as she approached the injured witch prepared for another attack.