Chapter 24

Author's Note: This chapter contains descriptions of blood and wounds. Reader discretion is advised.

——

"Emira? EMIRA?" Edric shouted into his scroll as the line went dead, fear and a adrenaline coursing through his body as his mind raced.

"Ed? Ed, what happened?" Luz questioned apprehensively.

"I... I don't know," the startled boy stuttered as he grabbed his hair on instinct. "On minute I was talking to Em, and the next there was a growl and line went dead... Luz, what if..."

"Hey, no. We can't think negatively right now. You said Viney and Jerbo were heading over right?"

"Yeah," Edric mumbled.

"Right. So at the very least, Em isn't alone in whatever is going on."

"But what if they don't make it in time? What if whatever made that growl beat them to her? Luz, I... I can't lose her... Em and Amity... they are all I have," Edric spoke softly as tears began to roll down his cheeks.

"Hey," Luz whispered, wrapping an arm around the boy she had come to see as an older brother. "We won't let happen, okay? Not Eda and Lilith, not Viney and Jerbo, and not me. We're here for you guys and no matter what, we're going to make this right, okay?"

"O...okay," Edric sniffled as he leaned into Luz's hug, a sense of relief washing over him in the feeling of security the human's words offered.

"The kid's right, Greenie," Eda spoke from across the room as she move to approach the pair. "We're going to see you through this. You're not alone."

"Thanks, Miss Owl Lady," Edric nodded as he wiped his eyes with the back of his arm. "That means a lot."

"Miss Owl La... sheesh how many times do I have to tell you kids? You can call me Eda," the older witch scoffed as she rolled her eyes, refusing to show the soft spot the boy's words had touched. "Anyway, we need to be getting out of here. If theres one thing thats for certain, its that time is of the essence."

"I agree," Luz said, nodding confidently.

"And with that, we need to do something about that leg if you're going to come with us," Eda motioned to Luz, ushering for her to take a seat on the couch.

"What do you mean?" Luz asked with a look of confusion on her face.

"What I mean is, I'm going to heal you, now sit down so we can get this over with," Eda explained as Luz took a seat. "Get comfortable because this will take a few. In the meantime, I'll be right back."

"How..." Luz asked once more, turning to Edric as Eda left the room.

"Damn," Edric muttered to himself.

"What's happening? I don't understand, how is she going to heal my leg any better than the healers could?"

"With some high level healing magic, thats how," Edric explained.

"But if Eda could heal me all along, why didn't she offer to do it sooner?"

"Because, Luz. This type of healing magic comes at the expense of the user's life force."

"What... what do you mean?"

"Its basically a trade-off. She'll heal you, but the amount of time that it would have taken the injury to heal will be taken off her life. This kind of magic is hardly ever used because of the heavy cost its use carries," Edric explained.

"You mean if she heals me, she'll die sooner?" Luz asked as a rush of worry crossed her mind.

"Yeah, thats exactly what it means, Kid," Eda nodded as she entered back into the room, Owlbert in hand.