Chapter 23

Author's Note: This chapter contains graphic depictions of blood, physical violence, and strong language. Reader discretion is advised.

——

"Fuck," Luz mumbled as she struggled to get off the couch, her crutches yards behind her resting on the floor where Lilith had forced her to move causing her to drop them. Standing on one wobbly leg, the human struggled to maintain her balance as she mentally calculated the shortest distance she's have to hop to grab her aides. Opting for the quickest path with the least amount of items available for her to lean on to help her hold her balance, Luz took a deep breath before making her way across the room quickly yet carefully.

Successfully making it a third of the way on one leg, a burst of confidence prompted the human to pick up her pace, a sense of worry for Amity's safety in the back of her mind. Continuing forward on the wooden floor, with each unstable hop, Luz bit back the fear of falling until with one unfortunate misstep she did. Crashing to earth, the human's mind went blank as she met the cold ground.

"Damnit..." Luz muttered as she regained her senses, opting to crawl the rest of the way before the sound of a door cracking open had her freeze in fear. "Who is it?!" Luz yelled, rolling on her back to get a better look her surroundings.

"Luz?" a familiar voice called out in return, pulling tears of relief from the human's eyes as it made its way to her ears.

"Eda!" Luz yelled, "Eda, please help!"

"Kid, where..." Eda began having followed Luz's voice before the human came into sight. "Luz, what happened?" Eda yelled, dropping the bag of human treasures she held in her arms as she rushed to her kid's side. "Are you okay? Did you fall? Why are your crutches so far awa..."

"Lilith," Luz cried as she wrapped Eda in a hug, burying her face into her mentor's shoulder.

"What about, Lilith?" Eda asked as she stroked Luz's hair, voice laced with concern. "Is she okay? Where's Amity?"

"Lilith... she took Amity," Luz choked out as she pulled away from Eda, wiping her face with the back of her arm as a look of rage grew on her face. "The twins said she was acting strange when they left this morning and to keep an eye on. When we came down stairs, she seemed off. We were about to look for you to tell you before she caught us. Amity said we were trying to find you to help with my leg and thats when, Lilith..." Luz growled as she squeezed her eyes shut, adrenaline coursing through her veins.

"Its okay, kid. Take your time," Eda said reassuringly.

"Thats just it!" Luz yelled back, unable to control her anger. "We don't have time! We need to go now"

"Luz, I understand but I can't help you if you don't finish telling me what happened, okay?" Eda spoke softly, attempting to calm the human down.

"You're right. I'm sorry," Luz huffed before taking a deep breath. "Lilith, she... she used her magic to move me to the couch and made me drop my crutches and then... and then she grabbed Amity's arm hard and pulled her away saying she'd take Amity to look for you but... but it wasn't right. What the twins said, something was off and I think... I think she moved me away so I wouldn't follow... I think Amity is in danger, Eda," Luz sobbed.

"Shit..." Eda muttered under her breath as she processed what Luz had told her. "Do you have any idea where they might be headed?"

"No, I don't but we need to go look now!" Luz cried, distraught.

"Kid, I can't take you with me in your condition,"Eda shook her head, much to the human's dismay.

"But, Eda..." Luz started before the sound of a slamming door and a yell cut her off.