Chapter 5

(Y/N) moved around, trying to get comfortable. She saw the sunshine in the room through her eyelids. The small bird slowly opened her eyes and let out a yawn. She sat up and stretched, cracking her back. As she rubbed her eyes, (Y/N) took a glance around her surroundings. She stopped and looked around again, blinking in confusion. "Hmmm...I was so sure I slept on the..." (Y/N) paused and sighed with a smile. "Red..."

(Y/N) pushed the blanket back, hopped off the nest, and quietly went downstairs. She took a peek around the corner of the spiral staircase and saw no one sleeping on the couch. Although it was clear that someone did sleep on it, the blanket was all shoved to one end of the couch and the pillow was wrinkled.

"Look who decided to wake up," someone said in a jesting tone.

(Y/N) moved her head over to her left and saw Red looking at her with an amused expression. She also realized he was making something on his portable stove.

"Oh, good morning, Red," (Y/N) muttered tiredly. "What time is it?"

He hummed as he looked at his clock. "It's quarter past six."

(Y/N) groaned. She usually wakes up earlier, like the rest of the birds on Bird Island. Usually at around four or five o'clock in the morning.

"Has Leonard come over yet?" (Y/N) asked as she headed towards the bathroom.

Red shook his head as he concentrated on making breakfast. "No, I don't expect him to show up anytime soon."

(Y/N) nodded. "Makes sense."

Over the years, (Y/N) and the others quickly figured out that the pigs woke up way later than the birds. Usually before early afternoon.

(Y/N) got herself cleaned up, she brushed her teeth and washed her face. Once she was done, she made her way back to the living room and sat down on the couch. Red walked over to (Y/N) and handed her a plate of roasted seeds, fresh fruits, and worms. She let out a gasp of excitement. "You went to Early Birds?"

Red raised an eyebrow as he sat beside her. "Yeah, I go there all the time."

(Y/N) took a bite of the worms and hummed in delight. "You're so lucky!" she exclaimed with her mouth full. "I can never get any."

Red chuckled. "Maybe, you should wake up earlier," he teased as he takes a bite of his food.

(Y/N) furrowed her eyebrows and gulped down her food. "I do! It's just...I live far away from the village. By the time I get to a slingshot, and just suck it up, then there's a whole line! And then by the time I get to Early Birds, all the worms are gone! And don't get me started with Late-Risers, they rarely have worms available for the week!" (Y/N) angrily shoved the roasted seeds in her mouth as she mumbles to herself.

"Have you thought about moving?" Red asked (Y/N) as he ate some fruits.

She pondered for a second. "No, not really. I do love my home, it's peaceful and quiet. I also have an awesome view of the village. It's too bad I just live far away."

Red hummed as he nodded in understanding.

The two birds continued to eat in silence as they finish up their breakfast.

'Awe, man. This is awkward. What should I say?'

(Y/N) took a breath in and looked over at Red. "He--"

Someone started to knock on the front door, interrupting (Y/N). They both jumped and the two birds turned their gaze toward the sound. Red stood up, placed his plate on the side table and opened the door. In the meantime, (Y/N) leaned forward to see who was outside.