Chapter 19: Old Me

JAIDA

I didn't understand why he was treating me like this but I sure was tired of it. My heart hurt, I thought things were going well and it's back to the start. I walked out of the office and ran into Kelson's co-worker, Manny.

"Oh hey Jaida, you freaks all done in there?" He laughed, nudging me.

I cracked a small smile, "Strictly business, you know that Manny."

"Ah sure." He winked and continued walking down the hall.

Maybe having a baby was a mistake, if I had known things would change this much, I might have taken a different road, but there's no room for regrets.

When I got home, I decided to call Olivia and see if she needed anymore advice. Her phone went straight to voicemail. Something about seeing her today, knowing how Kelson is, it all just left me uneasy. But, he was a changed man, he was a great father and he was family-focused. I just didn't want to be jaded again and end up played in the end.

I think it's time I get my independence back. I went online and looked for nanny's to come take care of my sweet girl; I lined up a couple interviews for tomorrow morning, then I went ahead and got some interviews for myself. I'm not too sure how Kelson was going to take it. But he was no longer my problem, not after how he treated me. It's time to get back to me.

KELSON

I felt bad for how I treated Jaida and what I had said. I skipped out of work early to get her something special and work on her forgiveness. I went to the Christian Loubutin store and purchased her a pair of 'So Kate' heels.

I watched the clock as time came closer to the time was creeping closer to noon and I still had not sent Olivia the money. I was not going to let her extort me. My phone rang at 11:30.

"So you're trying to make it close, huh Kelson?" Olivia's voice spoke.

"Why are you doing this to me? To your friend?" I asked as I walked down the street to my car.

"I see you bought new louboutins, that's at least 1K of MY 10, do not fuck with me, Kelson." She said loudly.

"Do what you want, I'm done with this game." I hung up as I got into my car.

One thing I learned in business is to call people on their bluff, at least this bought me time. If all she wanted was money then, she'd be back and wouldn't give up her leverage this quickly. For now, I had a lot of ground to cover.

When I arrived home, the house smelt of delicious food as it normally does and baked goods. I heard pot clanging in the kitchen and the sound of R&B. I smiled watching her sway as she cooked.

"Good evening, baby." I said softly.

I saw her back stiffen at the sound of my voice.

"Jaida, I'm –"

"Sorry?" she cut me off, "You're always so sorry, Kelson. Just a sorry as excuse for a man. A sorry ass excuse for a boyfriend, fiancé, husband, all things that are good. All the things I wanted from you." She sighed.

"Jaida, that's a bit harsh. I've been trying my best." I explained.

"If this, if THIS is your fucking best, boy oh boy, I do not want to see your worst." She finally turned to face me, "You want garlic bread with your pasta?"

"I got you something." I said trying to lighten the mood, placing the bag on the island.

"I don't want anything from you, Kelson. You're not going to bribe me into this bullshit like you always do." She replied.

"WELL I'M FUCKING TRYING, JAIDA! WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME? I'VE GIVEN YOU EVERYTHING! FUCKING EVERYTHING! I AM DOING MY BEST!" I snapped on her, Jania started crying loudly in her rocker.

"You've woken up the baby with your yelling, you happy?" She breezed past me to pick her, "It's okay, baby. It's okay." She comforted.

I stared at her with anger in my heart. My feelings of regret for my earlier actions disappeared. I was no longer number one in her life, and I'm man enough to be okay with that. But this attitude was so uncalled for, sure I fucked up. But the way she's acting, there's no way to tell me she didn't deserve it right now.

"I'm gonna give you your space." I stated while grabbing my coat and heading out.

I made a call to the first number I could think of.

"Meet me downtown at the Marriott."

TO BE CONTINUED....

HEY EVERYONE, I KNOW YOU HATE ME. But I'm gonna do what I can to finish this up. I'm approximating there is about 5-7 chapters left and please don't ever think I don't appreciate you guys for rocking with my writing for all these years. I truly do.