Chapter Eleven: A Great Thing

JAIDA

I didn't want to hurt her, and what kind of person would I be hitting a little girl, especially one that didn't belong to me. I tried to defend myself from her wailing arms and attempted to grab hers, but she was just swinging outof control. At that last kick of my stomach, I reflexively curled up into a ball, holding my stomach. I felt myself fading away. 

I woke up to see a bright light in my face, I raised my hand to cover my eyes. 

"Jaida, are you awake? Can you hear me?" 

My vision became clear, it was Dr. Yang talking. I turned to my right to see Kelson standing at my bed side. I just looked at him before turning back to Dr. Yang.

"How's my baby?" I asked him. 

"Uhh, well...how are you feeling?" He asked.

"Please, don't dance around the question." I pleaded. 

I really just wanted to know. I wasn't in the mood to beat around the bush with this. If my baby was gone, I wanted it laid on me, plain and simple because it would have been my fault. 

"The baby is alive..but..I have a strong feeling that it will suffer severe defects when it is born." He informed me. 

I covered my face with my hands as my chest heaved in and out. Hot tears streamed down my face. This was my consequence, this was me being punished for my bad deeds. 

"Well, at least you're alright and the baby's alright." Kelson chimed in with a slight smile.

I paid him no mind, as I looked to Dr. Yang. 

"Now what?" I asked. 

"Now, we keep you here for another day or two, just to monitor the baby and hope for the best." He said. 

I nodded, "Thank you." I said softly. 

He smiled a bit and tapped my arm gently before leaving. Kelson sighed as he looked down at me. 

"Jaida, I'm so sorry for what happened. Things got real out of-" 

"You should go." I cut him off. 

"Jaida please, just listen to me for five minutes." He said. 

"I've listened to you so many times, look where it's got me. I stood by your side and you played me over and over again. I didn't even know she was your daughter, I've had lessons with that little girl for months now and I had no clue. But, that's out of your control, so I won't blame that on you. But, the simple fact that in the times where I needed you the most, you weren't there.."

"Jai-" He began, 

"AND IF," I said loudly, talking over him, "you happened to be there, you took the other persons side no matter who they may have been. I'm completely done, Kelson." 

"Can I talk now?" He asked. 

"Go ahead, not like it matters." I rolled my eyes. 

"I am sorry. I know I've said it 100 times but I am. I want to be there for you, and my child. Our child. If you would just let me. I don't deserve a lot from you, or anything at all, but please give me the chance to be a father. I don't have any kids of my own, Jaida." He pleaded.

Apart of me felt bad, and I knew I'd need the help now that my child would be physically and mentally challenged. But. I didn't want to give him that chance, I didn't want to let him back in for him to ruin me again.