Chapter Fifteen: Worth it

KELSON

"Jaida? Jaida?" I called her name into my phone.

Stone and George stared at me with worried faces. 

"Shit." I said as I hastily ran to my car, as I struggled to get the door open.

"What's wrong?" Stone asked as he followed me to the front of our new house. 

"Jaida, she went to see her parents...I don't know. Somethings wrong." I ripped open my car door.

Rain fell heavily from the sky. 

"What can we do to help?" They asked. 

"Nothing. I'll just keep you updated." I said as I started the car and sped off. 

My heart raced as my windshield wipers tried to wipe away the huge down pour of rain. The road became more empty as I headed towards her parents house. I saw something move at the side of the road and quickly swerved to avoid it. I stopped the car and hopped out. 

"Jaida!" I screamed her name as I saw her struggling at the side of the road.

Her fingers clinging weaking to the ground beneath her. Her lips quivered, and her body convulsed. 

She wimpered softly as I picked her up her soaked body. 

"Goddamn it," I cursed as I picked her up. 

She was shivering hard and blood ran down her leg. Mud and grass clung to her skin chocolate skin, making it a dirty brown. I rushed her to my car and wrapped my coat around her. 

"It's going to be okay, baby." I cooed to her as I shut the door, and went back to the driver's seat and turned up the heat. 

I drove as fast as I could but the nearest hospital was 45 minutes away. I looked back at her as the blood began to accumulate on my backseat. 

"Please God." I silently prayed as I pulled into the ER.

I picked her up out of the backseat and held her tight to me. 

"Someone help me!" I screamed as I walked inside with her in my arms. 

Nurses rushed with a stretcher and I placed her down gently.

"S-She's been in the rain a while, she's pregnant and she's bleeding." I tried to explain. 

"It's okay, sir, we'll take care of it, just wait here." A  small blond nurse said to me said and I took a seat in the waiting room. 

My leg shook violently. It seemed like time was slugging on, as the same nurse came to give me an update almost 3 hours later.

"She went in for surgery, the baby's umbilicle cord got wrapped around it's neck and we had to do an emergency C-Section It might have been the fall that repositioned that baby, but whatever it is... She's being stabalized right now but she should be fine, the baby is fine, but very tiny. She may be really tiny for a long time, but- with time, she should get better." She explained, "The doctor will probably perscribe some vitamins to help her growth, but like I said, she should be okay." 

"She? It's a girl?" I asked.

She nodded with a smile, "Would you like to see her while your-"

"Wife." I filled in for her. 

"Wife," she nodded, "Is being taken care of?" 

"Yes." I nodded. 

I followed her down to the infant area of the hospital, I had to wash my hands thoroughly before entering. I followed closely behind as we approached the small incubator.